PDA

View Full Version : 1.6.0.30 updater failure

cole448
2008-08-13, 03:39
This week I was doing a regular update on my older release when it told me to update to 1.6. I removed the old version and did a fresh install from a mirrored website.

After the install it told me I must run update to download the new descriptions, include files etc.

I can only get the files by manually going to your website and dowloading them.

If I use the update button or menu it:
1. Pops up an error box "Error retrieving update info file". I click OK

2. Pops up a Warning box "Please select some update files from the list first" I click OK

3.Pops up the Updater window with another "Error retrieving update info file" box. I click OK

4. The Updater Window text is all some kind of gobbledy-goop (technical term) maybe Arabic or Russian font.

5. The top of the page (header) is in English. "Welcome Page Actions" as well as the "Search Icon". If I click on Search it cycles through the "Error retrieving update info file" cycle again.

I have tried this both Sunday and Monday with no success.
All other functions are functioning as expected with the manual download of the rule files.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-13, 08:06
cole448:

Do you have a firewall and is SDUpdate.exe authorized to access the internet in the firewall?

cole448
2008-08-14, 04:59
I have checked my Firewall and SDUpdate.exe as well as update.exe are listed. I removed and readded them with no change in the updater failure. I killed my Firewall and the problem continues.

cole448
2008-08-15, 06:48
From the multiple posts about update failures under 1.6 I firmly recommend that noone upgrade to it. It is not near the quality of the regular releases. I will de-install.

Buster
2008-08-15, 11:28
Hello Cole448,

which firewall do you use? Downloading updates runs flawlessly for me.

Terminator
2008-08-15, 11:34
I've never had and issues downloading updates apart from 2 weeks ago when I accidently chose a server that was down but upon choosing another one everything went smoothly.

By the way are you using a Proxy Server to connect to the web as that has been known to cause problems from time-to-time.

Another thing you could try is purging all Spybot related Firewall entries and then try to update