PDA

View Full Version : disable warning about temporary files

darvo
2008-08-13, 16:09
How can I disable this annoying warning about termporary files?
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3590/spybottempge5.png
Why the "yes" button is selected by default? :flame:

spybotsandra
2008-08-13, 16:25
Hello,

1. If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning" you have to use a tweak.

To create such a tweak, create a registry value in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\Application.exe\

Replace Application.exe with the name of the executable it should affect, no paths used. Or, if you want the tweak to apply globally to all our products, simply use this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\

If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning":

Use this tweak to completely skip the new function that tries to clear the systems temp folder to speed up scans:

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000000 (default if not set)

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000001 (does not offer temp folder cleaning on app start)

2. Because the scan will be much faster without temp files.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-13, 17:28
darvo:

Besides disabling the function you can set the threshold of the number of temporary files that are needed to be present on your system before the message is triggered as well as the time before the messages automatically defaults to cleaning those temporary files.

Please see the original documentation for this and other registry tweaks is in wiki.spybot.info at this URL:
http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Registry_Tweaks
The items are:
2.4 DisableTempFolderCleaning
http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Registry_Tweaks#DisableTempFolderCleaning
2.10 TempFolderCleanDelay
http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Registry_Tweaks#TempFolderCleanDelay
2.11 TempFolderCleanMinimum
http://wiki.spybot.info/index.php/Registry_Tweaks#TempFolderCleanMinimum

Cartigan
2008-08-21, 03:59
Hello,

1. If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning" you have to use a tweak.

To create such a tweak, create a registry value in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\Application.exe\

Replace Application.exe with the name of the executable it should affect, no paths used. Or, if you want the tweak to apply globally to all our products, simply use this path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks\

If you want to disable the "DisableTempFolderCleaning":

Use this tweak to completely skip the new function that tries to clear the systems temp folder to speed up scans:

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000000 (default if not set)

DisableTempFolderCleaning : REG_DWORD = 00000001 (does not offer temp folder cleaning on app start)

2. Because the scan will be much faster without temp files.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot
I'm not sure I can say "No" in strong enough words to this. If you are on "Team Spybot" I either assume you are part of the development team or have important enough contact with them. I can say emphatically that not only should you not have to manipulate the registry to turn this off, but it should be an option that shouldn't be on by default. I don't see how you can seriously both have a page like this (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30113) and run one of the foremost anti-spyware programs (among both free and not) yet have an automatic 'file-deleter' (however innocuous the files it deletes) on a timer run at every program start up with no option to disable that doesn't involve editing the registry entry directly.

Are you people trying to destroy your reputation like Lavasoft with Ad-aware 2007+? This is a step backwards for any program, especially an anti-spyware program. Not to mention wholly hypocritical and suspicious.

blues
2008-08-21, 07:51
why not have a setting in spybot to change it instead?

drragostea
2008-08-21, 16:05
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=278
--

blues
2008-08-21, 16:10
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=278
--

i forgot about that post but i have read it.

gubydal
2008-08-25, 14:36
I just updated to Spybot 1.6.0. When restarting after the update, this request to delete files in the Temp dir appeared, defaulted to yes, and deleted all the files in Temp after ~15 seconds.

The Temp directory contains, besides lots of other files, also logs for Windows Update installs, other install logs (for example Sun Java) and other install files needed occasionally if one wants do deinstall programs.

A program should not be allowed to delete files on the user's machine without the user's consent. The popup should not default to Yes, nor, especially, do it automatically after such a short timeout.

I had a look at the proposed change mentioned in http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=278. I see the change scheduled for release 1.9. This is also not acceptable. The behaviour should be changed as soon as possible.

I repeat. The popup requesting to delete all files in the TEMP directory should default to NO, or, as a minimum, should not have a timer associated with the YES response.

Greyfox
2008-08-25, 15:50
....The Temp directory contains, besides lots of other files, also logs for Windows Update installs, other install logs (for example Sun Java) and other install files needed occasionally if one wants do deinstall programs.

gubydal,

The temporary files Spybot refers to are those contained in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\temp, and C:\Windows\temp.

I don't know what version of Windows you are using, but I also don't know any version of Windows that stores Windows Update logs or any uninstall information in either of those places.

Those two locations are intended for transitory use but over time can accumulate left over or orphaned files. It is good housekeeping to keep them cleaned out and if you do, you won't ever see this reminder from Spybot.

blues
2008-08-25, 16:09
i had a map with 219 files or so in C:\Windows\temp. why couldnt spybot delete them? i was able to delete them myself. the message from spybot doesnt appear anymore when i deleted them.

gubydal
2008-08-25, 23:44
gubydal,

The temporary files Spybot refers to are those contained in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\temp, and C:\Windows\temp.

I don't know what version of Windows you are using, but I also don't know any version of Windows that stores Windows Update logs or any uninstall information in either of those places.

Those two locations are intended for transitory use but over time can accumulate left over or orphaned files. It is good housekeeping to keep them cleaned out and if you do, you won't ever see this reminder from Spybot.

I expect that Spybot deletes all the files in the directories pointed to in the environment variables TEMP & TMP, usually the ones you mentioned above.

My machine runs Windows XP, and my Temp dir contained 5 logs for MS Updates, the logs for 2 Java installs/updates and the logs for 2 Office updates. And yes, I have run across programs that will not uninstall cleanly if their install files are not in the Temp dir.

But this is besides the point. Be it temporary or orphaned files or logs, Spybot took an action I did not know if would take (this is the first time I have seen the popup in the years I have been running it).

It altered the contents of my system, and did it by a popup that defaulted, with a timeout of only ~15 secs, to deleting those files if I did not click on the NO button.

This in my opinion is not acceptable in a program that I had considered until now as one of the best in the area.

If there is a popup, it should default to the least disruptive behavior. If there is a choice for the user to make, it should not be taken away with a timeout that in the end defaults to changing the status quo of the system.

jjjdavidson
2008-08-27, 16:36
But this is besides the point. Be it temporary or orphaned files or logs, Spybot took an action I did not know if would take (this is the first time I have seen the popup in the years I have been running it).

It altered the contents of my system, and did it by a popup that defaulted, with a timeout of only ~15 secs, to deleting those files if I did not click on the NO button.

This in my opinion is not acceptable in a program that I had considered until now as one of the best in the area.

If there is a popup, it should default to the least disruptive behavior. If there is a choice for the user to make, it should not be taken away with a timeout that in the end defaults to changing the status quo of the system.

I agree wholeheartedly. On one of my systems, I probably didn't see the popup the first time it appeared, because I was checking something else as I updated Spybot to 1.6.0. When Spybot first opened after the updates it was behind another window, so if this popup appeared, it came and went without my ever seeing it.

And yes, software shouldn't use the TEMP folder to store log files and uninstall files, but programmers do it anyway. Windows Defender, for example, stores running log files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. I also remember some Autodesk utility that wouldn't even run unless some installation file was preserved in a temp folder.

The default setting should always be to do nothing until the user has had a chance to voice an opinion. This new feature of Spybot should be modified as soon as possible.

nojunkmail4ebl
2008-09-10, 21:45
Hi,

Agreed with others, the default should be "No" and not "Yes."
Those that want those files removed can easily click on the
"Yes."

Regards,
NoJunkMail4EBL

2008-09-10, 21:57
vote here: http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=278

Fogdood
2008-09-11, 00:53
i had a map with 219 files or so in C:\Windows\temp. why couldnt spybot delete them? i was able to delete them myself. the message from spybot doesnt appear anymore when i deleted them.

Were they folders or files? I had the exact same problem, 141 'files' it couldn't delete. When I looked, they were actually just a lot of empty folders. I deleted them manually and the message no longer appears.
:euro: