PDA

View Full Version : Uninstal of Spybot causes Windows Error Message

bobbyc
2008-08-14, 01:02
First, I was unsuccessful for some reason in installing the most recent Spybot Program Update received thru the Spybot Updater.

I decided to then uninstall Spybot, reinstall, and try again. I used the Spybot Uninstaller in the XP Home SP3 "Start " - "Programs".

After Reboot, an Error Mesage popped up saying :
"Windows cannot open this File" ( on the following two files)
1. "Windows Office.Ink.disabled"
2. "Digital Line Detect.Ink.disabled"

I have used CC Cleaner (both Program and Registry Cleanup), and Spybots hints on their Uninstall Tips Page. No luck. I still get the popups.

Help Please :)

2008-08-14, 03:59
for having problems uninstalling: http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

bobbyc
2008-08-14, 04:38
As I wrote, I did try the uninstall tips located on the link in your response.

2008-08-14, 07:28
have you tried using msconfig to disable those options from starting up? Sounds like windows is stating that it cannot find those items because they have been uninstalled or went missing (moved). The thing is, none of them seem to be anywhere close to the spybot software, or be involved with it at all. Very Weird....Any team member have a solution?

bobbyc
2008-08-14, 09:17
that's ok.

I really do not want to get into msconfig yet. Since this problem happened immediately after the Spybot uninstall, I figured something went amiss with the update of 1.6, and then the uninstall. I did an Acronis True Image Restore, and tried the uninstall again without attempting the 1.6 update, with the same results.

I was hoping that a Spybot Forum Member would know what has happened, and have a solution. I will wait a few days, and then email Spybot directly.

In any case, Thanks for your interest and time.

DougCuk
2008-08-14, 09:57
The two entries you list are program shortcuts that were manually disabled by Spybot probably via the System Startup option in the Tools section. You should find these two items in your "Startup" folder on the "All Programs" section of your StartMenu.

Spybot disables them by adding ".disabled" to the end of the filename - just rename the shortcuts and remove the ".disabled" from the end of the filename to reactivate the shortcuts - or delete them to remove these disabled shortcut links.

The error message results from the fact that Windows doesn't know how to Open a shortcut of the filetype "disabled" - which is not a problem - just Windows saying I don't know how to start this item.

These two shortcuts are:
The MS Office startup helper - not required but not harmful
Digital Line Detect - addon used by some ISP's to check for broadband line (again not required but may assist some diagnostic you have installed)

If you reinstall Spybot and activate the Advanced section you could manage these disabled items from the System Startup section - they will show as unticked (disabled) items and can be either reactivated or deleted.

bobbyc
2008-08-14, 17:18
Doug : Thanks, deleting the two disabled items from the Startup Folder worked. I no longer get the Error Messages.