PDA

View Full Version : Get Rid of Hint

doffod
2008-08-14, 09:39
I've used SS&D for years and very much appreciated. However when you add an annoyance like HINT OF THE DAY, please provide a simple radio button/check box to remove it.

I'm not adept at registry tweaks. Can someone give me step-by-step regedit instructions to make this change:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks]
"DisableHintOfTheDay"=dword:00000001

Thanks
Wil

Greyfox
2008-08-14, 13:30
doffod,

Editing the registry is not something you should entertain lightly unless you both know how to do it, and more importantly fully understand what the risk is if you make a mistake, that your computer could become unusable.

Given your statment that "I'm not adept at registry tweaks", and that under normal circumstance most users would probably only view this screen perhaps once a week after a scan, I would have thought the risk was not justifiable for such a small "annoyance".

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-14, 14:24
doffod:

To disable the hint of the day:
Download the attached DisableHintOfTheDay.zip file. The DisableHintOfTheDay.zip contains a batch program (DisableHintOfTheDay.bat) to add the registry tweak to
Extract the DisableHintOfTheDay.zip to a known location.
Execute the DisableHintOfTheDay.bat program by double clicking on the file.
Besides adding the DisableHintOfTheDay tweak, the program will:
Create a backup .reg file (DisableHintOfTheDay.reg) of the following registry key if it existed before adding the DisableHintOfTheDay tweak:
Create .txt files (Tweaks_Before.txt and Tweaks_After.txt) with the before and after images of that same registry key.

doffod
2008-08-14, 19:00
Thanks for your quick and effective response. I have to say that I have so may up-front defenses against malware, that it has been two yrs since SS&D has had need to detect anything. However the many subsidiary elements, hosts file protection and other features therein contained, make it a worthy assurance bulwark.

I won't go into a rant on the needlessly muddled, sadly designed "registry", which looks to any observant objective eye as the workings of either a demented soul and/or a deliberate obfuscation to the maintenance of windows. Thanks for your help.

Wil

doffod
2008-08-14, 19:10
this comes up as a php not a zip

Could you just send a text of the batch file and Ill run it

I've done plenty of registry adjustments over the years. But the string in the in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\] line has some kind of weird "default" line in place. I'm just not sure how to add another line without erasing or changing that default line. I've spent two hours on this and I'm just about ready to erase SS&D, --- no I'm ready now. never mind. Dont do anything.

Tom.K
2008-08-14, 19:46
this comes up as a php not a zip

1.Click on "DisableHintOfTheDay.zip" attachment.
2.When you click it, it will say that you are opening something like this:
"hxxp:\\forums.spybot.info\attachment.php?attachmentid=0&d=0"
3.Open the attachment. Repeat the step 2 again.
4.When it asks for DisableHintOfTheDay.zip, Save it.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-14, 20:50
doffod:

Use Tom.K (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=9612)'s instructions or right click on the DisableHintOfTheDay.zip (http://forums.spybot.info/attachment.php?attachmentid=2457&d=1218716631) file and do a "Save As" or "Save Target As" depending on the browser you are using.

If I attach it as a txt file it will not execute and must be renamed to a bat file. The way most people have Windows Explorer setup does not show common file extensions such as txt and bat which makes the instructions to rename the file difficult.

If you find easier to just create your own .bat file, I have included a copy of the content of the DisableHintOfTheDay.bat file.

The content of DisableHintOfTheDay.bat is:

ECHO DisableHintOfTheDay

If exist DisableHintOfTheDay.reg goto Skip1

REG EXPORT "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks" DisableHintOfTheDay.reg

:Skip1

REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks" > Tweaks_Before.txt

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks" /v DisableHintOfTheDay /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Safer Networking Limited\Tweaks" > Tweaks_After.txt

Exit

tjordanspambot
2008-09-13, 01:45
doffod:

To disable the hint of the day:
Download the attached DisableHintOfTheDay.zip file. The DisableHintOfTheDay.zip contains a batch program (DisableHintOfTheDay.bat) to add the registry tweak to
Extract the DisableHintOfTheDay.zip to a known location.
Execute the DisableHintOfTheDay.bat program by double clicking on the file.
Besides adding the DisableHintOfTheDay tweak, the program will:
Create a backup .reg file (DisableHintOfTheDay.reg) of the following registry key if it existed before adding the DisableHintOfTheDay tweak:
Create .txt files (Tweaks_Before.txt and Tweaks_After.txt) with the before and after images of that same registry key.

That worked - Thanks! I think it even updated my Ad Aware! :clown: