PDA

View Full Version : Can't activate Tea Timer

shattoinc
2008-08-14, 17:52
Tea Timer will run when first downloaded but then shuts off and I don't see where I can re-activate it.

Greyfox
2008-08-15, 04:23
shattoinc,

You haven't taken the time to provide a lot of information to go on.

What operating system?
what version of Spybot?
Very importantly what version of Teatimer?

What makes you think Teatimer has stopped running?
Was there a small Spybot type icon in the task bar with a padlock on it when you thought it was running?
Did this icon disappear from the task bar?
Were there a lot of balloon notifications at the start, and then they gradually stopped appearing?

If you can answer these questions then perhaps you will get a proper solution
That said, start Spybot, click on Mode, Select Advanced mode, click on Yes.
Goto Tools then Resident. There are two tick boxes on the Resident screen, one that applies to Teatimer. Put a tick in it, then exit Spybot. You should now have a Teatimer icon as described above in the task bar.

Right click on it, then click on about - you should see the Spybot Version and the Systems Setting Protector (Teatimer) version. If it's earlier than 1.6.1.21then it's not a version that has balloons. If it's 1.6.1.21, or 22 then there should be an item on the right click menu called "Show info balloons". If you want the balloons to appear, have it ticked, if you don't then untick it. Either way if you've got this far Teatimer should be working.

You can also always use the processes window in Windows Task manager to see whether Teatimer.exe is running.

If this doesn't answer your question, perhaps you can post back with some more information

Edit: Please take the time to read some of the FAQ's and posts in the forum about Teatimer. If you use it, it is going to require you to make decisions from time to time, and if you don't make the right decision it can leave you with problems. If you don't understand what teatimer is about, you may be better off not having it running, particularly when you are installing or uninstalling other software.

shattoinc
2008-08-15, 16:50
Thank you Greyfox,

To answer some of your questions:
I'm running Windows XP home. I have gone to the Advanced Mode, Resident window and checked the box. When I leave and return, the box is unchecked. The icon does not appear in the system toolbar. (I have other computers in the office which run Tea Timer, and the icon stays.) I have uninstalled and re-installed Spybot. The Tea Timer will run momentarily but then stop. Could it be a malware is getting smart about Spybot?!

shattoinc

Greyfox
2008-08-16, 02:04
...To answer some of your questions:
I'm running Windows XP home....

As previously requested:-
what version of Spybot?
Very importantly what version of Teatimer?

New question:-
Was Spybot installed using the default locations?

You could try:-
Make sure Spybot is not open, and your browser is also closed

Goto C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot Search & Destroy and you should find a file called Configuration.ini - Delete it.

Restart Spybot, it will generate a new configuration file.
Select Mode/Advanced - answer yes
Select Tools/Resident. Tick Teatimer.
Exit Spybot
Check whether Teatimer now stays active

Please post back here and let's know whether your problem is fixed