PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer bug

Al_Firefox
2006-03-26, 21:36
Hi all,
I've been introduced to useing firefox and spybot becuase my Internet Explorer has been acting funny, it is not allowing me to change the Temporary Internet File setting. The MB size does not increase as the slider is moved left. Whenever I tried changing the cache size with the slider or just silply typing in the MB size i wish the Temporary Internet file to use an error message comes up. Saying please enter a number between 1 and 0... on how much disk space TIF may use. Please try to help.
Thanks

Zenobia
2006-03-26, 22:17
Is it set to zero percent?
What version of Internet Explorer do you have?And what Operating system do you have?(Windows XP,98,etc.)

Al_Firefox
2006-03-27, 07:49
Explorer version 6 on Xp home. (new computer) <-- that's why it's so annoying I thought my old one had enough stuff to deal with.

Zenobia
2006-03-27, 09:01
Microsoft says:

SYMPTOMS
The amount of disk space Internet Explorer uses for temporary Internet files may be set to 0 (zero) percent, and you may be unable to specify a different setting. In Internet Explorer 5, if you try to change the settings, you may receive the following error message:
Enter a number between 0 and 1 to indicate size of disk space for...

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the History, Cookies, or Temporary Internet Files folder is damaged, or if a damaged file exists in one of these folders.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195163

But,that's an older document,their method won't work in XP.Try this:
(This is for Category View.)Try going to Control Panel->Click Network and Internet Connections->Internet Options,it should open on the general tab->click delete files,and put a checkmark in delete all offline content,then click OK.
Reboot your computer when done,then go back and see if it will let you
change the Temporary Internet File setting,now.This should work if there's a
damaged file in there.
If that doesn't work,you can try clearing your history and cookies.(Note that after clearing cookies, your browser may not automatically log into certain Web sites. If this happens, you will need to manually log into the sites using your username/user ID and password.)

If still no luck,post back.

Al_Firefox
2006-03-30, 07:45
The problem is that I already don't have anything in it, like Microsoft, the file is damaged. So the solution didn't work

Zenobia
2006-03-30, 10:20
Do you have another adminstrator account on your computer?