PDA

View Full Version : Spybot search & destroy messed my internet connection up

dj-toonz
2008-08-15, 22:33
Hi all, my brother installed 1.6 of search & destory on my laptop for me and updated it & imunalized the system (if that's the proper tearm for it) and installed the ie filter also tea timer, when i went to use the net after he went, the 2 monitors for the connection was showing up 460 kbs instead of 3.6megs like i normally get and internet explorer 7 was comming up with internet connection cant display this webpage :sad:i had to refresh the webpage about 4 or 5 times before ie would display it. also i was getting disconected after disconections for fun., if i went though 3 usb connection on the taskbar i could connect at the 3.6meg normall but none of the programs what used the net i.e messenger or the likes could see the internet, only by using the dial up connection settings in windows xp, they would, shut down tea timer and everything was back to normall, i did a system restore to before i installed search & destory but the program was still there, so had to re-install it from a usb stick that i have saved to & uninstall it, now my connections ok again, but i want to know now is, as it imualized the system, after removing spybot search & destory is there anything i need to remove in the host file or anything on the system to make the connection run like it was before? the only reason i got rid of it was because it was messing my connection up thx, obtw my connection is a hsdpa mobile broadband one and the os is windows xp home thx p.s the very last program that i installed before the connection started playing up was search & destroy was working lovely before installing it

drragostea
2008-08-17, 04:52
There was nothing wrong with your Internet Connection. In addition, I really don't think the HOSTS file could be the culprit.

Let me explain. If your connection was 3.6MB connection (3,600kbps) it would have received roughly 450KB/Sec. How did I get that number? Well you divide 3,600 by 8, because there are 8 bits in one kilobyte. So it will add up.

Due to variables, such as network traffic or network congestion you won't be receiving the exact speed as indicated (450KB). Another variable would be how far you are from the central office [the supplier for your Internet connection/service (although this does not apply to Cable connections)].
--
Are you attempting to visit a website? What do you mean by "refreshing" 4 or 5 times?

dj-toonz
2008-08-18, 00:14
Sorry about not posting before but been away and not had time to get to a connection :(. what i meant to say in the original post. before my brother installed spybot search & destory for me. the connection was running lovely i did a speedtest before he came over and it was showing up that i was getting nearly just over 2.8megs with the connection. and i could goto a website and view it no problem without it comming up with internet explorer cant display the webpage, you aint either connected to the internet or that the webpage is having problems. could view it in both internet explorer 7 or firefox 3 no problem. before we put spybot search & destory 1.6 onto the machine. i did a system restore of the machine and backuped everything up (i always do before i install sotware) in case of problems, then shut it down for about a couple of hours, went to log onto the net, the 2 network monitors came up with 3 usb modem is now connected like it normally did but the speed was only showing up as 460 kbs instead of the normall 3.6megs that is was showing up with before, went to open my homepage in ie or firefox, nothing. internet explorer came up with cant display this webpage, i refreshed the page, same again, did that about 3 or 4 times then it showed up :-(. if i used the 3 connect on the taskbar it would'nt connect as connect was greyed out, i shut down tea timmer and everything went back to normall. network monitor lights showed up 3.6megs again and webpages were loading on the first attempt, but tried to uninstall spybot, would'nt uninstall so i did a system restore to before i installed it, then re-installed it and uninstalled it. & from sypot not being in the machine. the system has been running like it was before great. the system spec of the machine is 1.4gig laptop,1gig ram,160gig hardrive windows xp home with service pack 3 installed. with tea timmer installed. i even was having problems installing active-x plugins as they would'nt get installed and nothing came up on the taskbar to say let it install or not. or remember this action from tea timmer. i havent tried re-installing search & destory again as i dont know if i'm going to have the same problems as i did before.