PDA

View Full Version : Immunization fails to protect against 54558 items

RollingThunder
2008-08-16, 18:57
I've been scanning posts here and posting myself for over a month, and nothing has worked to "fix" my immunization problem with Firefox and Mozilla. Everything else immunizes completely.

I'm running Windows XP SP2, AVG, Firefox 3.0.1, and Spybot 1.6.0.30.

I've also installed Spybot 1.6.0.30 on my laptop, which is running Vista and the same combination as above and Spybot works flawlessly (I have not had to apply any "fixes").

I think the problem is an incomplete uninstall of a previous version of Spybot, possibly coupled with an incomplete uninstall of TrendMicro. I've downloaded and run the small Spybot .reg program and it had no impact on my results. When I examine "add or remove programs", there are no traces of TrendMicro.

I'll continue to scan this site, but meanwhile I'm installing Spyware Blaster to help me where Spybot can't.

As always, thanks for any help.

Ed

2008-08-16, 23:48
is it the host file? If not, what is it that it cannot immunize? If it is the host file, some security programs lock the host file in order to prevent attacks on it, if that is the case you need to unlock the host file before you immunize it. For example, Zonealarm has an option to lock the host file, if i have that checked in zonealarm, spybot cannot immnunize the host file. Unlock the host file, immunize, then relock it within the program when it is complete.

RollingThunder
2008-08-17, 00:19
is it the host file? If not, what is it that it cannot immunize?

It's not the host file.

All failures are for Firefox or Mozilla, some cookies, some images, some installations, and some popups. I posted a detailed accounting here awhile back: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31972. I've updated my definitions a couple times since then so the detailed number of failures is slightly different, but the general problem is the same.

Thanks for responding. I'm really hoping I can figure out how to make Spybot work for me.

Ed

2008-08-17, 19:06
have you tried reinstalling the internet browsers you are having problems with (firefox), and spybot?

RollingThunder
2008-08-17, 20:03
have you tried reinstalling the internet browsers you are having problems with (firefox), and spybot?

Yes. I have completely uninstalled Spybot and also ran the small .reg program to remove all traces of it before reinstalling it. That had no impact on my problem.

I did reinstall Firefox, but I didn't uninstall it first, since I have configured it with favorites and bookmarks and I don't want to start all over again with that. If the consensus among the experts is that's what I need to do to get it working with Spybot, I'll give it a try, but that will be painful.

Thanks again for your help.

Ed

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-17, 20:29
RollingThunder:

Will this help ease the pain:
Export bookmarks
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Export_bookmarks
Import bookmarks
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks

RollingThunder
2008-08-17, 22:17
Well, I completely uninstalled Firefox, then reinstalled, then stated Spybot, then Immunize, Undo then Immunize. On the uninstallation, I checked the box "Remove my Firefox personal data and customizations".

Result: Still 54558 items unprotected.

I appreciate the help, but I don't know what to do next.

Ed

2008-08-17, 23:40
this is weird.......I have run out of ideas.....sorry :sad:...I hope a team member will hopefully have a better solution..

RollingThunder
2008-08-18, 02:35
Thanks just the same, 129260. Ed

ME_2&
2008-08-18, 03:02
While I do not have the same setup, possibly this idea may help. I noticed awhile back that another browser I use (SeaMonkey v1.1.11) would be recognized on the immunization page but would not immunize *until* I 'primed' it by creating a few rules (thus making the virgin permissions.sqlite non-empty .. possibly what you may be experiencing with FF3's inability to immunize properly via SSD's Immunization page). I believe it was some site-specific permission, but likely anything that populates the permissions.sqlite file would work (cookie rules, an allow-deny etc). It's rare, but it does happen (especially with fresh installs).

See this post (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=211007&postcount=2) for a bit of background.

RollingThunder
2008-08-18, 16:42
See this post for a bit of background.

I actually tried this about a month ago with no joy. Right now, my permissions.sqlite file is 931 KB in size and there is no hostperm.1 file, which I think is correct.

Again, thanks for trying to help me.

Ed

ME_2&
2008-08-18, 22:21
Yah, that seems a bit light for permissions.sqlite - SM1111's got both (although the hostperm.1 is quite small as it only has cookie rules, like you say FF3 doesn't/shouldn't have one) and the size of mine is 1.63 Mb. Of course this may vary if you add your own rules or have a different Windows version - perhaps someone with a similar system could give you a ballpark figure as to what the size should actually be.

While it's nice to have that SSD security blanket, as long as FF is set up properly in options/prefs you should be okay (I like the NoScript, Adblock Plus and CS Lite extensions for a basic FF addon package that covers most casual browsing). Last but perhaps not least I might mention SpywareBlaster v4.1 as a decent 'protection' package if SSD's immunization keeps failing for you (as far as my experience goes, they're pretty much compatible and SB41 is really lightweight even if not all that predictable on their updates).

Safe Hex :)

ivill
2008-08-19, 10:23
I have the same problem,oh,,who can help me

Greyfox
2008-08-19, 17:43
Rollingthunder

Since you are running XP and Firefox 3, please read http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=225226&postcount=13

If you do a clean install of Firefox 3.0.1 after you install Spybot 1.6.0.30 or 31 then the permissions.sqlite should be generated properly by Firefox 3 and it should immunise correctly. You may need to prime the file as explained in that post.

Greyfox
2008-08-19, 17:47
I have the same problem,oh,,who can help me

The same problem as who?

Please indicate what operating system you have, what version of Spybot you currently have installed, what browsers, antivirus, firewall software are installed and whether there is any other anti spyware software installed on your computer.

If possible post a screen shot showing your problem.