PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from previous version........ simple question.

DjDiabolik
2008-08-16, 21:15
I have installed SD 1.5.2..... if i want to upgrade to newest 1.6.0 i need to unistall previous version or i can reinstall over it without problems ?

This is my simple question :)

2008-08-16, 23:27
is by uninstalling spybot first, then downloading and installing the latest version. :) Post back if you have any problems!

Sportz
2008-08-16, 23:27
DjDiabolik,

You do not need to uninstall your previous version of S&D to install a newer version.

2008-08-16, 23:32
you do not need to, but its highly recommended. :bigthumb: see: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=221400&postcount=3

I know that is about upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6, but its basically the same reasons. :)

Blizzard
2008-08-25, 10:06
I think the one concerning thing is that we recieve the version 1.6 as part of an update and so that would see it automatically installed over the top of version 1.5.2, wouldn't it? If that is the case, its a bit worrying.

It should be easier to find the uninstalling Spybot post as well, IMHO.

Also, that 'very small fix' from the link below doesn't seem to download properly in FireFox3 but seems okay in IE6.

http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg

drragostea
2008-08-25, 18:06
Blizzard, so how did it go? Was Spybot-SD successfully installed?

To utilize the "small fix" I would suggest you download it directly to the Desktop. Then right-click on it and press "Merge". Click 'Ok' to the prompt.

Blizzard
2008-08-26, 09:27
Thanks for that tip, I love Spybot but I think offering a full program update via the usual update facility is not so good.

I haven't updated to 1.6 yet, waiting to see how it all pans out. When I do, I will uninstall 1.5.2 and will try the tip that you suggested re the 'very small fix'. :)

Why should I press 'Merge' though? Shouldn't I just download to the desktop and then right click and then, 'open'?

Greyfox
2008-08-26, 09:56
Why should I press 'Merge' though? Shouldn't I just download to the desktop and then right click and then, 'open'?

A quirk of Firefox - but you don't need to do it this way.

In Internet Explorer you left click on the "this very small fix" to download the file.

In firefox you need to right click on the "this very small fix" instead of left clicking on it and select "Save Link as.." It will then save a file called "remove-spybotsd-settings.reg" to what ever location you set.

You should then be able to just double click on the file to make the registry change the same as you would if you downloaded the file in Internet Explorer

Hope this explains it.

Edit: I too am an advocate of uninstalling previous versions and doing a clean install of the new version unless there is some really good reason for not doing so. I know that many have had no problems doing "over the top" upgrades with Spybot, but the forum also has a significant number of posts regarding problems that have resulted from doing so. It's no big deal to uninstall the previous version so why not ensure your upgrade is a clean one.

Blizzard
2008-08-26, 12:02
Thanks Greyfox, ripper post, that helped a lot. Will look into installing 1.6 relatively soon. I've bookmarked this thread.