PDA

View Full Version : dead icons, .lnk extensions, can't run executables

taddeusz
2008-08-17, 00:58
I was using the S&D addon that checks for registry changes and can block them

During my last startup it detected a lot of possible changes.

My wife may have blocked a few before rebooting (not nice, but she didn;t know what she was doing)

Now when i startup the computer there is NO system tray and all of my icons are dead with an .lnk extension. i can not open any .exe. no programs work, the only 2 programs that work are Microsoft outlook and the Internet Explorer icons on the top of the start menu.

I can not see what version of SnD i am using since the icons don;t work for anything.\

Found a forum on microshaft.com that says how to fix .lnk problems, but I cant even get to a command prompt from the run command

I am running Xp Pro.

any assistance before i have to reformat - i hate doing that :P

thanks!

DougCuk
2008-08-17, 02:45
Not sure if this will work - depends on exactly what is disabled - I did recover from something siimilar recently using this trick.

If the RUN option on the startmenu allows you to enter commands but just doesn't execute them try entering the word COMMAND which is the old command prompt which is a COM and not and EXE and may not be blocked.

If this gives you a command prompt you can try running fixes from there - I would suggest doing a System Restore back to before the changes were made. Try entering the following line at the command prompt:
%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
which should start the System Restore application.

taddeusz
2008-08-17, 02:54
for some reason when i even hit command, or when i try to open an exe, the window pops up asking me what program i want to use to open the file.

I've been using computers for years, but i sure as heck have no idea what program you use to run an exe, lol. i thought they ran themselves :P

i also ran from safe mode at command prompt and did what microshaft recommended when your computer doesn't recognize exe files, but it didn't do anything.

Basically whenever i try to run an exe file i see a dos window open for a split second and then nothing happens....or it asks me what program to open it with.

I can open programs from the actual icons themselves but not through any menus or shortcuts.

I am mad enuff just to reformat, but i can't even back up the few pics on my desktop since i can't open any document locations. I can't even right click and use the properties option on the desktop in order to change my desktop preferences.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-17, 07:36
taddeusz:

It sounds like your problem is a file association problem.

The following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:
Windows® XP File Association Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
The fix for EXE files is:
EXE File Association Fix (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip) (Restore default association for EXE files)

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.
The fix for LNK files is:
LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/linkfile_fix.zip) (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

taddeusz
2008-08-17, 21:46
I think you are on the right track here but...

I downloaded the two files as specified

Iran the command prompt as specified

when i enter regedit.exe it opens the window asking me which program to open it with.

when I double click the 2 downloaded files as specified, i am supposed to accept the import - but I only get the popup asking me what program i want to open the file with. (2 .reg files)

Am i stupid or do i need to do something else first?

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-17, 22:58
taddeusz:

In addition to the tip I quoted above using Task Manager, here's another tip to try to execute regedit.exe suggested by PepiMk (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=1) in the following post:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=168336#post168336

taddeusz
2008-08-18, 02:22
thanks for the additional help

i renamed regedit.exe to regedit.exe.scr and on opening the file it still popped up and asked me what program i would like to open it with.

i can run programs so far only by creating a new shortcut and then browsing to the original program - even though the shortcut is blank after i use it once.

I'll keep trying things out to work around this...still dread another full reinstall of xp.

DougCuk
2008-08-18, 02:42
I am still unclear what if any applications you are able to execute - but you do say "I can run programs so far only by creating a new shortcut and then browsing to the original program".

If this is correct and you can actually run a program by locating it in a new shortcut or via My Computer - then I still think your best bet for a clean fix is to restore the registry back to an earlier point in time before the file associations got screwed. This would hit all the changes in one go.

Using whatever method is available I would be attempting to run the System Restore utility which is found inside the Windows folder here:
\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Best of luck.

cyclops
2009-07-11, 05:39
Just stumbled on this.

In addition to

Quote:
NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.

If you are unable to access Tack Manager try,

1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in safe mode with a Command prompt.
2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command prompt option.
3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.
4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.
5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
or for example in Windows XP you can;
At the command prompt, type c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.

Hope that helps someone.