View Full Version : who am i

khinelay
2008-08-18, 09:15
"We have located 555 temporary files.
Scan spaces will increase ... "

yes , no
& I clicked "Yes" but it said

"555 files in use" .
I attached the image of this dialog box.
I received it yesterday .... & i don't know why ?
:oops:

Greyfox
2008-08-18, 10:31
"We have located 555 temporary files..."

Khinelay,

I was not able to see the image you refer to, but I think it is probably similar to the one I have attached to this post.

When the current version of Spybot starts up, it checks the number of temporary files at c:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp (at least that's for XP), and if there is more than I believe the figure is 100 it displays that dialogue. The number value in the left hand button is a countdown.

Normally if you click Yes it will clean out (delete) the temporary files, however in your case it seems they are "in use".

If you answer No, it will continue to start up the Spybot program.

It may be worthwhile doing an Antivirus scan of the Temp folder, and also a full Spybot Scan to see whether any of these files are part of an infection.

None of the files in that location should be other than temporary so you could try manually deleting them yourself.

Otherwise could you please advise what operating system you have, what antivirus software you are using and whether you have any other antispyware software installed.

Edit: The thought occurred to me that if you had been installing any new software before you started Spybot, and had not rebooted in between, some of these may have been part of the installation process and still "in use".

khinelay
2008-08-29, 05:18
Thank you so much . Yes. your attachment is the photo i wanted to show you.
I'm using Windows XP ,P4 .

Greyfox
2008-08-29, 17:04
khinelay,

As I said in an earlier post in XP, Spybot checks for temporary files in c:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp. I should also have added that it also looks for them in C:\Windows\Temp.

Some programs use these areas for temporary files which should automatically be removed when the programs are shut down, however sometimes the files get orphaned. Whilst it would be better if you knew what parent program owned these files, that may not be easy or practical for you to resolve.

One of the options you have is to start Spybot, put it in Advanced mode (click on mode, then advanced, then click on Yes).

First disable Teatimer (Click on tools, then resident, then untick the Teatimer box).

Now click on Settings in the left hand column, then Settings again to bring up the settings page. Scroll down until you find the System Start group and select Run Program once next system startup. Exit Spybot and reboot your computer.

Spybot will start early in the startup process, and hopefully the temporary files will not be in use and will be deleted. After closing Spybot and when the rest of the startup process has completed, reboot again. Spybot should not run this time. You can then open Spybot when convenient and retick Teatimer if you are using it.

If this doesn't remove the temporary files, you could also try booting up into Windows safe mode and manually deleting the files.

Please note that whilst no program should be using these areas for permanent storage of critical files, some games may not be so well mannered and manual removal might leave the parent program inoperable.

tashi
2008-08-29, 20:32
Topic in Malware forum: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=229376#post229376

khinelay
2008-08-30, 20:21
Hello,
do you mean my post must be in "Malware Removal" ? :oops:

khinelay
2008-09-04, 14:51
Dear GreyFox
Thank you for your help. I deleted these temporary files , and my computer is ok.

Another problem I want to know is "Immunize"
After i installed Firefox & used Firefox for nearly 2 hours , I make the "Immunize" in SpybotSearch
but it said
"Unproteced: 28466
Protected: 65235
Total: 93701"

In IE(32)bits
\SOFTWARE(Domains) Unprotected 56 ,Protected 9086
\SOFTWARE (Secure Domain) Unprotected 56,Protected 9086

May I know how to protect again ?
Thanks in advance