PDA

View Full Version : Something Strange Involving Tea Timer

stitchfancy
2008-08-19, 17:44
I d/l and installed SpyBot a few days ago. I did the complete install, made no changes. I ran a scan, found a couple of problems, told SpyBot to fix, all was well. Took care of some other online business and surfed around abit then logged off & shut down. No Problems.

The next day I booted up, did all the things I wanted to do and proceeded to shut down. During the shut down, I got a popup saying something to the effect that "tea-timer.exe" would not let me shut down my computer. Everytime I clicked ok on the popup it just added another copy of it on top of the last one. I could not remove the the popup, could not shut down. I tried to unistall the software, but the popup box was blocking the uninstall dialog box from view. Finally I just turned the computer off at the wall.

After awhile I booted up again, and of course I was scolded for shutting down improperly, but everything seemed normal again. I went back and did the uninstall - but I really want to use SpyBot - Can anyone tell me why this happened?

Did I get a bad download maybe? I am running Windows Vista Premium Home Ver. I also have Norton Anti-Virus thru a subscription.

Thanks for your help.

drragostea
2008-08-19, 18:01
There isn't any incompatibility issues with Norton or Spybot-SD so don't worry.

Was the message something like this?:

"Access violation at address 004B6BE9 in module 'TeaTimer.exe'. Read of address 00000010."

Can you download the latest version of Spybot-Search&Destroy (16.0.30) and see if this corrects the issue?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
--
Also do you still have any other copies of Spybot on your computer?

stitchfancy
2008-08-19, 18:18
Yes - that looks like the message I got and each time I clicked on the ok button that number at the end increased.

That link is where I d/l the softeware (which was on 8/17) from the one that says "Safe Networking LTD #1"

I will try a different download.

And No, I have no other copies on my computer.

Can you explain what happened?

drragostea
2008-08-19, 18:32
I am not particularly sure what is causing this problem.

As an anecdote, this has appearing a lot lately for me in version 1.5.2.20, but this is ceased in v.1.6.x.

Can you download a fresh copy from the link and previous post and see how it goes?

stitchfancy
2008-08-19, 20:07
I did a new download from one of the other sites listed. I began the install and decided I needed to pay closer attention to what was happening. I came to a screen titled "Select Additional Tasks" which is the screen for selecting what icon you want/don't want........Then I looked at a section on the lower part of the screen that had two more little check boxes (I didn't pay any attention to this on the 1st install)...The title for these 2 check boxes is "Permanent Protection" - the 1st ck bx is: Use Internet Explorer protection (SDHelper) - the 2nd ck bx is: Use system settings protection (Tea Timer.

I did not uncheck either of these on that oringinal installation. Would this be the reason Tea Timer wouldn't let me shut down the computer?

drragostea
2008-08-19, 20:18
No. Either way you can choose to enable Spybot-SD's Resident Shields (SDHelper and TeaTimer), it's just that during the installation you can enable it at a earlier time.

Both options would be available regardless if you ticked it or unticked it.

Can you report back on how it goes?

stitchfancy
2008-08-19, 20:39
yes, I will do that.

stitchfancy
2008-08-21, 18:19
Update: I d/l from a different site. I have not had any problems to date with shutting down my computer. So maybe the 1st one was a bad file or something.

drragostea
2008-08-21, 21:00
Glad to hear it all worked out.

What version were you using when you started this thread?