PDA

View Full Version : help about alexa related...

carinio98
2008-08-19, 23:56
hello can you help me about alexa related... spybot recently detect it but it show up sometimes in other site that i open... im usually a clicker in many PTC.
im always using firefox 2 coz ie browser are so slow to open up.
when i scan it with hjt i dont see any unknown files listed... is there anything that i can do to stop related search?

drragostea
2008-08-20, 00:14
hello can you help me about alexa related... spybot recently detect it but it show up sometimes in other site that i open... im usually a clicker in many PTC.

Since IE is slow to open up, this may be a viral (malicious; malware) infection or just a dozen of temp. files, cache, and cookies clogging up Internet Explorer.

What is your Operating System? Have you removed the entry that Spybot-SD detected, "Alexa Related"?

I would suggest you use caution before fixing anything with HJT, unless you know what you are doing.

What is "PTC"?

carinio98
2008-08-20, 06:39
i deleted the related.htm in web folder when spybot detects it. is it ok to remove it manually? im always cleaning my pc with ccleaner and also i install add-ons noscript and flashblock in my firefox to prevent the annoying script and iframes in any sites that is not on my list. even i install add-ons it always shows up in any sites.
my operating system was windows 98se

PTC= Paid To Click
it is a site to earn on clicking a site or ads assign for you to click each day...

drragostea
2008-08-20, 07:03
INHO, it seems a bit... fishy. It sounds more like a scam than to get free money off the web by clicking. Obviously there is a catch (most of the time), whether that be malicious banners or some "flashy" ad. Ad's are usually placed in some sites so they can be funded.

Trust me, nowaday malicious banners like those can serious get you, unlike in the past near the 2000's when malicious drive by downloads were more like a joke.
--
So are you saying that the "Alexa Related" entry is detected on every Spybot scan?

I just want to say to you, take caution when participating in these events. :santa:

carinio98
2008-08-20, 08:09
only once when i scan it. after that no trace of it. i always update spybot and scan after that but nothing where found. im using version 1.6 right now.

about earning money on the net. your right some sites are scam and some are legit you dont know what is legit and what is scam unless there are proof and forum post that the site really pays. i join many sites and few paid me but earning on the net are not that easy.

drragostea
2008-08-20, 22:35
I just want to say to you, take caution when participating in these events. :santa:

Sure, carinio, I can respect that : ).

I can't add anything more about your detection but what I can say is that Alexa is known to "track" user's surfing behavior, sites they visit, and even the words they type in search engines.

If you have scanned again and Alexa Related is not detected, then I can say it has been purged from your system.

What I thought about the most, was that it was 'related' but Alexa itself.

carinio98
2008-08-20, 22:45
its just like search bar with some weird links below and white back ground....
about the purging i hope it will never bug me again...:spider:

drragostea
2008-08-20, 22:49
its just like search bar with some weird links below and white back ground....

Is that what you mean by the "PTC" ads?

carinio98
2008-08-21, 22:23
no... sometimes it shows in any site in that i usually open in firefox. like in random. about the ads i usually see related searches in autosurf and manual surf.

drragostea
2008-08-21, 23:13
I see. But I can't explain what might be happening on the "search" bar and the white background...

Any more questions?

carinio98
2008-08-22, 21:08
its ok... as of now it wont bother me anymore coz i delete some related search in registry. hope it wont open up again... :sad:

drragostea
2008-08-22, 21:22
...coz i delete some related search in registry. hope it wont open up again... :sad:
carinio, I will warn you that you should take caution when manually editing the registry. If you do not know how it works, I would suggest you leave it.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

carinio98
2008-08-25, 18:01
thanks for the warning. :oops: