PDA

View Full Version : TeaTimer doesn't work after update

PeteMoon
2008-08-21, 00:52
I downloaded a TeaTimer Update today (one of the Update options on the Update screen).

Since then Tea Timer does not appear to be working:

It appears in Running Processes - 39,168k

BUT

- does not appear in the System tray
- gives a "Not Responding" message when logging off or closing down
- is not picking up registry changes that it normally picks up.

I have tried unticking the TeaTimer check box in "Resident" in "Tools", and rechecking it. (The registry key appears in "System StartUp" if I look in "Tools".) But this has not helped.

The TeaTimer version is 1.6.2.23 (from the "Process List)

Anyone any ideas?

Steven C
2008-08-21, 04:17
I have the same issue. Anyone know a fix for this?

drragostea
2008-08-21, 04:29
I had the same experience where TeaTimer was not "showing" on the taskbar. Since it is a beta after all... Suspicious, I ran Spybot in Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident and then TeaTimer popped up.

I would suggest you do reboot and see if the "disappearance" of TeaTimer from the taskbar still persists.

Pete was the "Non-responding" message come with something like this?:

"Access violation at address 004B6BE9 in module 'TeaTimer.exe'. Read of address 00000010."

Also, Pete, can you explain a little more on how it's not "picking" up registry changes anymore? Spybot-SD 1.6.x introduces the usage of black&whitelists so it'll ease the situation on the prompts that beginner/novice users encounter.
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=271
--
Steven, I don't think there is a "fix" for this if you word it that way. What problems are you experiencing?

Steven C
2008-08-21, 06:26
Steven, I don't think there is a "fix" for this if you word it that way. What problems are you experiencing?

Same as Pete. TeaTimer issues after updats today. Im still using 1.5.2 btw.
-TeaTimer doesnt show up in the system tray, but still is on the processes list.
-When I reboot or shut down TeaTimer hangs with a not responding msg and I have to force quit.
-I even reinstalled SpyBot 1.5.2 and didnt do the TeaTimer update. Same issue.

Steven C
2008-08-21, 07:37
I upgraded SpyBot to 1.6 and TeaTimer works again, but wow this new one is a resource hog!!

PeteMoon
2008-08-21, 07:51
drragostea -

The "Not Responding" message does not give Access Violation codes, it appears when the system is trying to close TeaTimer at Log-off or Sytem Shut Down. It is the standard Windows message stating that TeaTimer is "Not Responding" and asks if I want to "End Task Now".

As far as I can see, I can no longer access Black & White lists (which I could before).

I checked whether it was picking up registry changes by initiating a change TeaTimer normally reports on (change of User). It no longer reports on this Registry change.

Looking at Steven's reply, I think we may have identical problems.

PeteMoon
2008-08-21, 07:57
Steven and I posted at the same time above.

I have not tried updating to Spybot 1.6 due to current issues reported in this forum. Could this be the problem?

Yodama
2008-08-21, 08:48
I have not tried updating to Spybot 1.6 due to current issues reported in this forum. Could this be the problem?

Yes, Teatimer 1.6.x requires the corresponding advcheck.dll which comes with Spybot S&D 1.6.

sandybeach
2008-08-21, 10:51
I am using 1.6 and during todays update took all offered including the Tea Timer update to 1.6.1. This seems to be the problem source.

I got massive computer slow down (normal 10 second operation,post update now 50-60 seconds)typical of conflicts on board:sick:. Tea Timer showed "padlock" square dancing around the S&D Icon near clock for several minutes at boot up.:clown:

Immunize seems to have trouble holding it's total # protected (will do 0 unprotected but at next boot show 1600+ not protected.
Behavior of other protectors also slowed down:grandpa: AVG 7.5, SAS, etc.

Tried System Restore to yesterday & behavior normal. Upon redoing update same problems returned. :banghead:Tried several times, same result. Have not tried update leaving TT update out.

At moment, running normally:cleaning::bigthumb: on yesterdays sys rest. point settings with all other protectors re-updated for the 3rd time tonight but no S&D update from today. All seems well. Think I'll skip updating S&D 'till I see fix successful in posts here. :red::yes:

PeteMoon
2008-08-21, 17:16
Yodama

Shame the Update didn't specify that the updated TeaTimer only works with Spybot 1.6. But thanks for explaining.

I will disable TeaTimer until I'm ready to update to Spybot 1.6 :sad:

spybotsandra
2008-08-21, 17:18
Hello,

Which Spybot version do you run?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

PeteMoon
2008-08-21, 17:59
Spybot v. 1.5.2.20
TeaTimer v. 1.6.2.23

Is there a way of "undoing" yesterday's update to TeaTimer?

drragostea
2008-08-21, 21:01
I'm not sure if this may be the cause, but the problem may appear that the newer/later version of TeaTimer is applied to a older version of it, so it may be causing the problems.

Give version 1.6.0.30 a shot and see how it goes.

AspieMum
2008-08-22, 19:05
I had the same experience where TeaTimer was not "showing" on the taskbar. Since it is a beta after all... Suspicious, I ran Spybot in Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident and then TeaTimer popped up.

I would suggest you do reboot and see if the "disappearance" of TeaTimer from the taskbar still persists.

Pete was the "Non-responding" message come with something like this?:

Also, Pete, can you explain a little more on how it's not "picking" up registry changes anymore? Spybot-SD 1.6.x introduces the usage of black&whitelists so it'll ease the situation on the prompts that beginner/novice users encounter.
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=271
--

I can't even find it in Advanced Mode but the Windows Task manager does show it as one of the processes that are running.

Does it still work? Is it still doing its job and why isn't it anywhere in default or advanced mode and why is the icon missing from the tray? Anyone know?

AspieMum
2008-08-22, 19:11
I had to use a PM to ask for help as I tried to post a new thread and it said I wasn't authorized to. I thought I wasn't authorized to post messages. It turns out I have to find an existing thread and click quote to post so even if the thread is not related to my problem that is what I have to do. Consequently my posts may turn up in completely unrelated threads but when I PMed an administrator it appeared that that was all the site would let me do was PM an administrator.

drragostea
2008-08-22, 20:13
Aspie, the general idea of using PMs (Personal/Private Message) is message other members... not for help but to say something you wouldn't want others to see in public.

There should be no problems with posting another post/reply in any thread, unless the thread is closed or a thread in the Malware Forums. I'll also suggest that you don't PM a Administer on the forum, unless it is something important.

Aspie, run Spybot-SD>Mode>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident.
You'll see the two Resident Shields (SDHelper and TeaTimer).

AspieMum
2008-08-22, 23:06
I can't even find it in Advanced Mode but the Windows Task manager does show it as one of the processes that are running.

Does it still work? Is it still doing its job and why isn't it anywhere in default or advanced mode and why is the icon missing from the tray? Anyone know?

I've found it now but the boxes were already ticked and unticking them and reticking them doesn't bring the icon back to the task bar or tray.

AspieMum
2008-08-22, 23:08
Aspie, the general idea of using PMs (Personal/Private Message) is message other members... not for help but to say something you wouldn't want others to see in public.

There should be no problems with posting another post/reply in any thread, unless the thread is closed or a thread in the Malware Forums. I'll also suggest that you don't PM a Administer on the forum, unless it is something important.

Aspie, run Spybot-SD>Mode>Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident.
You'll see the two Resident Shields (SDHelper and TeaTimer).

I've found I can post by clicking quote now. That'll have to do as it isn't just closed ones and the others you mentioned I can't post in- its any. I can only post by clicking quote. Just means stuff won't always be in an appropriate thread unless I can find one.

Ken895
2008-08-27, 22:46
Yep! same problem. Posted this but seem to have lost it in the forum.
Quote:-
TeaTimer icon does not load on Taskbar as usual and then when closing down Windows XP (2) TeaTimer.exe box appears followed by Programme Not Responding . Physical closing of programme is required before computer will shut down. This occurred after carrying out an update on 26/8/08 which included an update for TeaTimer. Running Spy Bot 1.5.2.20.Version. Notice that there is now Versions 1.6 available. Is this a conflict

sandybeach
2008-08-28, 10:15
Just to let all know that in hindsight, I decided that the Tea Timer Update 1.6.1 being the likely culprit, I COULD safely update all BUT TT.

Pleased to say this worked out just fine. Even the immunize seems to be holding properly and operating speed seems, if not normal, very close to it.:eek: I have no idea why the TT update should cause a problem.:red:

On a slightly different matter, I have onboard, but NOT currently running in background, Super Anti-Spyware. I noticed that in the preference panel, it, by default ,has 2 boxes checked to prevent changes to home page (anti-hijack).
Given that my Spybot does this & my old AdawareSE also does this (made sure all entries agreed w/ each other to avoid conflicts) I have disabled those features in SAS. Is it possible these 3 , if all running, would conflict w/ each other (despite all 3 agreeing on the same home/start page)?

With SAS disabled from start-up I don't think it's compounding anything. S&D & AAW SE have always gotten on fine together. Too bad they'll (AAW)stop even manual updates sometime soon. Thanks, Sandy . :rolleyes:

Intel P4 3.0 GHtz /80G HD/512Mg RAM/XP Pro SP1 +++chosen patches/CDRW/DVD read only Player/Toshiba Cable Modem/D-link Router w/ 2 active plugins (occasional laptop on it) duplexed/Intel Pro set &graphics/...Sun Java 1.4.2_18/ exclusive used browser:Sea Monkey1.1.11/ Avg Free 7.5 AV/AVG AS (scanner only) Spybot1.6 w/TTimer/Imm, AdawareSE 1.06/CCleaner/ All REMOTE functions disabled (net bios/printer sharing etc.).

PeteMoon
2008-08-28, 14:51
sandybeach

Shame I didn't think of that. Using a Restore Point that is, bit late now. Currently running with TT disabled :sad:

For the record I'm not using SAS or AdawareSE, but have the same problem.

sandybeach
2008-10-02, 09:30
History: Upon first installing 1.6, with 2 desktops (users) the non-active/ not being used for install desktop's user profile was wiped out completely leaving only MS "default new user desktop" with default background and no files in any folder.

More recently, problems w/ Tea Timer Update 1.6.1 (see above post).

Similar User Profile Corrupted (Upon first installing 1.6,problem) encountered w/today's update for SD Helper 1.6.1: IE Plug-in. :oops: :spider:

Solved by System Restore back 1 day followed by re-updating but with "unchecking" this item from download list first. Still not taking Tea Timer 1.6.1 update either. Without either of these, S&D cooking along happily enough!

Just thought I'd mention along w/ cure for others sake.! :angel:

Intel P4 3.0 GHtz /80G HD/512Mg RAM/XP Pro SP1 +++chosen patches/CDRW/DVD read only Player/Toshiba Cable Modem/D-link Router w 2 active plugins (occasional laptop on it) duplexed/Intel Pro set &graphics/...Sun Java 1.4.2_18/ exclusive used browser:Sea Monkey1.1.12/ Avg Free 7.5 AV/AVG AS (scanner only) Spybot1.6 w/TTimer/ AdawareSE 1.06/CCleaner/ All REMOTE functions disabled (net bios/printer sharing etc.).

sandybeach
2008-10-02, 09:34
#20, is now last on page #2 so not really above now. :oops::)

bitman
2008-10-02, 19:01
< SNIP >

Intel P4 3.0 GHtz /80G HD/512Mg RAM/XP Pro SP1 +++chosen patches/CDRW/DVD read only Player/Toshiba Cable Modem/D-link Router w 2 active plugins (occasional laptop on it) duplexed/Intel Pro set &graphics/...Sun Java 1.4.2_18/ exclusive used browser:Sea Monkey1.1.12/ Avg Free 7.5 AV/AVG AS (scanner only) Spybot1.6 w/TTimer/ AdawareSE 1.06/CCleaner/ All REMOTE functions disabled (net bios/printer sharing etc.).
Unfortunately, you are your own worst enemy. Most of the software you currently list as installed on your PC is so out of date that no matter what you do with Spybot S&D, you will still be at great risk. For example, both the Windows XP Service Pack 1 and the Sun Java versions were EOL (End of Life) in late 2006.

Windows XP SP1 and SP1a support ends on October 10, 2006
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean19

J2SE 1.4.2 is in its Java Technology End of Life (EOL) transition period
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Your problems with Spybot S&D are likely just a symptom of these much more important issues. It's time to bite the bullet and upgrade everything on your PC, starting with the operating system.

In fact, I'd recommend simply removing the AVG and AdAwareSE completely before you begin, since these versions are only likely to create other issues when you attempt to upgrade the Windows XP OS to Service Pack 3.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, then you should either find a friend or local computer support organization that can help you. Otherwise, there are other online support forums that specialize in such aid.

Bitman

ScaryGary
2008-10-03, 18:22
Hi, I've had one computer that the spybot icon stopped showing up. I can log off and back on and it reappears. It may be that teatimer is different version that main program which causes the problem but I don't think so. I believe that it's a taskbar glitch. Try this and let me know if it fixes your problem. :

go to "My Network Places" folder
have your folder options be "Show common tasks in folders"
on the side panel, select “Hide icons for networked uPnP devices”

Icon may be visible now, if not reboot and see if clean boot makes it appear.

seabee69m
2008-12-04, 12:31
I have the same issue. Anyone know a fix for this?

Not being computer genie I am experiencing similar situation as I attempt
to shutdown acer laptop running microsoft os vista. window pops up
stating teatimer stopping mach. from shutting down. Appreciate any and
all assistance. Have been using spybot combined with adaware for years.
Never had any difficulty's until past couple months. ?????????:clown::oops::wub:

hooper
2008-12-05, 22:09
Hello all, sorry to break in here but I've been searching everywhere and can't seem to find an answer to my problem. I installed SB S&D 1.6 just recently, following an installation of Avast 4.8. The SB scan did pick up a few things that avast missed, including a Trojan - very good! However, even though I've checked the run on startup boxes in the resident settings, and TeaTimer appears in the startup menu, it doesn't run (Or appear in the task mgr) unless I start SB and bring up the Resident in tools. And of course there's no TT icon in the toolbar. The boxes remain checked, all I have to do is bring up the resident page in SB and TT starts. I can also get it to run by dbl-clicking the TeaTimer.exe file without starting SB. I am perplexed????

I am running win98se with the orig Norton 2000 AV still installed. Long since expired - last update definitions are May '05! (Yes I know [now] that I'm not supposed to run more than 1 AV but I wasn't aware of that when I installed the Avast, and everything seemed to run fine. Also, the Norton appears on the DOS boot screen and I'm a little concerned about removing it as it's orig with the computer.) Also prior to Avast I installed something called GaruYac AV which found some "malicious processes" but I've got no idea what it did with them. That's when I went for Avast, and SB S&D. I suppose I should remove Norton and GaruYac, but the last time I started removing things I crashed the computer and had to do an OS reinstall :eek: May '05. Obviously I'm no computer genius!

Sorry if I've been long winded but I just wanted to be clear about what's happening.
Thank's in advance for any insight...

Elroch
2008-12-23, 14:12
I have experienced similar surprisingly high CPU load on my Vista machine. This has a 2007 dual core Athlon processor, and teatimer uses just under 4 minutes of CPU time on startup (compared to a few seconds for the antivirus software). This seems excessive to me, and is quite a downside. Several minutes more time are used throughout a session. I noticed this load as I was trying to identify the cause of a fatal error on my computer, which necessitated pulling the plug regularly, but I have no solid connection between the two problems.