PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6.0 won't let me log onto non-administrator accounts

ninjat
2008-08-22, 16:59
I just updated to Spybot 1.6.0 this morning.

I don't use my administrator account for security reasons. I created 2 separate limited accounts on this computer for personal matters, but I can no longer log on to either of them. WinXP just creates a temporary desktop for me to use on these limited accounts, but all my information still exists on the HD.

I know that the updated Spybot 1.6 is the problem because I just uninstalled it and can access both of my limited accounts again. I love this program, and would reinstall it given a fix.

Thank you! :)

drragostea
2008-08-22, 17:03
I was just curious... about your reasons about not using the Administer Account. One of my first guesses was that if malware should compromise the computer (at the time when the Admin account was used) then the malware can create another account with Admin rights. And also, if malware/virus should compromise the Limited Account, it cannot do as much damage as it would because it does not have sufficient privileges.

In this case, I would suggest you use the Admin Account for the situation, because I do find installing software/programs on a Limited Account difficult.

ninjat
2008-08-22, 17:11
I was just curious... about your reasons about not using the Administer Account. One of my first guesses was that if malware should compromise the computer (at the time when the Admin account was used) then the malware can create another account with Admin rights. And also, if malware/virus should compromise the Limited Account, it cannot do as much damage as it would because it does not have sufficient privileges.

In this case, I would suggest you use the Admin Account for the situation, because I do find installing software/programs on a Limited Account difficult.

What do you mean curious about my reasons?

On a non-admin account, WinXP does NOT allow me to install software of any sort. I am forced to install it on the Admin account then use it on my Limited accounts.

EDIT: I normally stay away from strange websites, but I do use bittorrent. I rarely install anything new on my computer.

drragostea
2008-08-22, 17:29
No need to shout. That was what I was saying.

What do you mean by "force" install?

Where did you download Spybot?

ninjat
2008-08-22, 18:03
Okay, I'm sorry drragostea.

When I download an .exe on a Limited account, WinXP won't allow the user to get past that. It will pop-up with "User does not have sufficient privileges."

But, that doesn't really matter. I downloaded the update to Spybot 1.6 via Spybot's update and installed Spybot 1.6 on my Administrator account in the beginning. After I uninstalled it and my Limited accounts are accessible again.

drragostea
2008-08-22, 19:06
It's okay. Glad to hear it all worked out.

FYI, if you Immunize and update in the Administer Account, you are immunizing for all the Limited Accounts, so it's much easier than doing it one at a time.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Safe surfing.

Welcome to SaferNetworking Forums.

ninjat
2008-08-22, 22:21
Thank you sir.

It's not all worked out though. I uninstalled Spybot, and now I have my (non-administrator) accounts back and fully accessible.

I guess if that's the solution, I'll wait for a Spybot S&D update.

drragostea
2008-08-22, 22:30
Sorry, I misunderstood back in the last post. I thought it was resolved.

I'm not sure what might be causing the here...

Can you explain a little more on the situation? Do you mean you literally cannot log in? Do the Limited Accounts have passwords?

ninjat
2008-08-23, 00:00
Both of my accounts are passworded and I log onto both of them just fine until after I install Spybot. I just re-installed Spybot one final time a minute ago to be perfectly sure it was the problem and it is.

After Spybot 1.6 is installed, I get two pop-ups.

1. The first pop-up says: "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local file."

2. The second pop-up says: "Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile."

If you are using WinXP and want to understand a little more about what I am talking about, [go to Control Panel > User Accounts] and create a Limited account on your own computer and try to log on. Spybot blocks users from these accounts.

drragostea
2008-08-23, 00:12
I can log in fine... :scratch:

Except, I faced a black screen in between and a long pause.

Okay. Can you create a thread about this problem (Spybot-SD Beta) and link it to this thread as reference?

PepiMK
2008-08-23, 15:41
Hmmm...

How did you close Spybot-S&D?

This sounds very much like Spybot-S&D closed unexpectedly (like might happen when updating). Spybot-S&D opens other user accounts to scan them, and when it's closed the hard way, they are kept open.

So, if the update tells you you need to reboot, you really need to reboot, just logging off and on again does not help :) After the reboot, everything will be accessible again.

Also, if not the update was at fault: never close Spybot-S&D using the Task Manager to kill the process!

Finally, if this repeatedly happens even though you close it regularly, you can update the link to start Spybot-S&D by adding a " /nohives" (without the quotes) to the command line in the shortcut to have it avoid touching other users (which, again, is just temporary until Spybot-S&D is properly closed or you reboot).

ninjat
2008-08-23, 20:33
Hmm... One time I did use the Task Manager to End Task because I immunized by accident when I previously un-immunized to test if that was the problem.

I will try /nohives, allowing proper reboots and proper updates. BRB

ninjat
2008-08-23, 20:45
IT WORKED! Wow. Weird.

I did use /nohives and I did a reboot after installation of Spybot and it allows me to log on to different user accounts.

You were right. Before, I just updated Spybot and immediately tried to log back onto my other accounts(which didn't work).

Thank you very much. I feel dumb. Thanks though :)

drragostea
2008-08-24, 03:13
Well, the dumb question is the one not asked.

One odd thing is that, even though I was able to log into the Limited Account, I faced a pause (blackscreen) and then the user desktop loaded. However, there was something odd going on the the TaskManager, because two (2) SYSTEM services were running plus a few other processes. That only summed up to 10 processes, and TaskManager was reporting 44 processes. :scratch: