PDA

View Full Version : Registry changes

GrahamCB
2008-08-23, 08:09
I've recently switched from beginner mode and messed up a bit. In screen showing actions I took, I inappropriately deleted them. I think they are in a log file; how can they be reinstated? Also (a general point) why does Spybot give users the opportunity to "accept" or "deny" imminent registry changes if Spybot deems the changes to be dodgy at that time? Can users undo or reverse previous "accepts"? Thanks guys - useful software!

drragostea
2008-08-23, 18:41
Where did you "mess" up? And what did you do in 'Advanced Mode'?

Read this explanation on TeaTimer, it will tell you what it is and what it does and it should give you a better understanding:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html
--
The 'Allow' and 'Deny' options are for the user to decide.

However, there is no facility in TeaTimer to undo changes that were Allowed or Denied once. But if you ticked "Remember My Decision" you can undo that change.
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=226569&postcount=2
--

GrahamCB
2008-08-25, 11:30
Thanks drragostea - so your expanded answer re the advantage of checking 'remember my decision' box for registry changes will be incorporated in an FAQ update?

It is appreciated that we are put on a spot when we are asked to decide whether to 'Accept' or 'Deny' changes to the registry as it is seldom apparent who or what business wants to change our registry. Should we therefore always deny?

drragostea
2008-08-25, 18:15
TeaTimer does not prompt you on "what" is doing it, but where. The problem is that you'll have to do the extra work to get knowledge, on what that entry is and what it is doing/what it wants.

If you 'Allow' all of the entries, it would have been the same if TeaTimer was never activated.

I would not recommend 'Denying' every single entries, because it seems to me that some users do not fully understand what those entries mean.

As a general idea, TeaTimer will monitor changes to BHO's in IE (Browser Help Objects in Internet Explorer), additions or removal of startup entries in the Startup Manager, new toolbars, and the list goes on.
^ I've read in a thread once, that TeaTimer monitors roughly 35 critical places in the registry.

My suggestion to you is that, if you do wish to continue using TeaTimer then you do a Search (Search engine) on what the entry is.
If not, then it would be best to disable it.

:laugh: But hey, it's better of knowing what they are. So you'll know what they mean in the future. It's more like doing homework for me :santa:.

I hope this cleared your doubts.