PDA

View Full Version : teatimer does not startup

musiklab
2008-08-23, 10:53
During start up I get this message :System settings protector has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. details:
AppName: teatimer.exe AppVer: 1.6.2.23 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 00012a5b

The Spy bot team responded : remove all Spybot files and folders clean registry, reboot and download 1.6.0 20-8-08 and reinstall. I did. No change.
Maybe at the same time I upgraded to 1.6.x, a few months back, I have a big loss of operational speed that I was not able to pinpoint.
No expert, but I really liked Spybot before.
Intel 3GHz 512mB, Win XP pro , AVG8, Norton Ghost

Greyfox
2008-08-23, 15:16
musiklab,

If you can't start Spybot at all

First uninstall Spybot from the Control panel add or remove programs, then
follow the procedure in http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html and in particular run the "small fix" mentioned in it.

After the uninstall process above has been completed, reboot the computer and then install the current version of Spybot. During the install you will be offered some options. Make sure Teatimer and the IE browser add on are NOT enabled, and that updates are NOT downloaded during the install.

Once the install has been completed and before starting Spybot, clean out your temporary files at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp, and at C:\Windows\Temp. Also start your browser and clean out the browser cache.

Now start Spybot - because Teatimer is not enabled at this stage it should start up OK.

Now click on Search for updates on the main screen of Spybot and download them. Normally one would then do an immunise, however in this instance leave that for the moment.

Put Spybot into Advanced mode, then click on Tools, then System Startup. Right click anywhere in the screen that appears, and then click on create snapshot. Now carry out a full scan. If the scan highlights any items in Red, attempt a fix, then reboot and repeat the scan.

When there are no items in red, then proceed with the immunisation, and if you are using Internet Explorer then enable the Browser add on (Spybot/tools/resident then tick resident SD helper. If you can't get a scan clear of red items you may need to post into the malware forum, but post back here first, and when you do, please indicate what service pack your XP is (SP2 or SP3), what firewall software you are using, and whether there ia any other antispyware installed on your computer.

When all of the above is working correctly, enable Teatimer (Spybot/tools/resident then tick the Teatimer box. It should now work without problems.

Please note - during installation and whilst carrying out the above, ensure that your browser is NOT open.

Please post back and let's know if this helps.

henry.newbolt
2008-08-23, 17:23
Hi, I have the same problem with TeaTimer, I followed your instructions but still Tea Timer doesn't run at start up.

Greyfox
2008-08-24, 14:54
Hi, I have the same problem with TeaTimer, I followed your instructions but still Tea Timer doesn't run at start up.

Please take the time when you post to provide some basic details like:-
What type and speed of CPU, and how much memory in your computer?
What size Hard drive and how much spare space is available?
What type of operating system and service pack?
What brower or browsers are installed.
What version number is your Spybot, and what version number is your Teatimer?
What Antivirus and firewall software is installed on your PC?
Do you have any other antispyware products installed?

Now specifically,
Did you get exactly the same error message as did musiklab, or are you saying that in your case Teatimer didn't run at all?

When you followed the suggestions I made to muskklab, which ones worked and which did not - how far did you get?

musiklab
2008-08-24, 15:39
Greyfox, thanks for your elaborate instructions.
Guys like you make the world a better place.
In my case, at no time Spybot has refused to load, only startup was very slow, and finally teatimer gave an error message, and simple file tasks took a bit long to open.

I did clean out again everything as directed, including the little special program, and a registry cleaner, and downloaded & reinstalled the latest version 1.6.0.30 (20-08-08) complete.
As I did this before receiving your instructions, I did not do it exactly as you say, so I downloaded the updates at installation and immunized before running a test.
On installing, I left Teatimer off and SD on ( in advanced settings) without problems and ran a clean S&D check.

Now, I have enabled Teatimer , and so far I did not get the start up error message again. I need a little more time to see if it sticks. My hunch is that this install has less performance impact than the one before, but it is only a hunch- being no expert, I donīt know how to objectively measure this, but some simple tasks were positively slow, and seem much improved.

I will post again if I see any notable symptoms.
By the way, my system is Intel 3Ghz, 512M, ample RAM and HD space, winXP pro SP2 , IE6 sp2, AVG 8 A-virus, No other spyware enabled.
Thanks again, Musiklab.

Greyfox
2008-08-24, 16:03
musiklab,

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress - will keep my fingers crossed for you.

There have been a number of improvements made to Teatimer recently including the ability to tweak it to suit the type computer, you can opt to have it conserve memory at the expense of some speed, or run faster at the expense of using considerably more memory. You might find it interesting to read through the thread at http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994 for the history of these changes.

One of the forum members, DougCuk has been able track down a solution to some delays that were being experienced in Windows Explorer and in Internet Explorer, as the result of leaving cookies to build up, so the recommendation is to frequently clean out your browser cache, your cookies and your temporary files.

henry.newbolt
2008-08-26, 19:34
Please take the time when you post to provide some basic details like:-

Now specifically,
Did you get exactly the same error message as did musiklab, or are you saying that in your case Teatimer didn't run at all?

When you followed the suggestions I made to muskklab, which ones worked and which did not - how far did you get?

HP Pavillion dv6000
CPU: AMD Turion 64 x 2 TL 52, 1 GB Ram
102 GB HD, 54,4 Gb Free
Windows XP Media Center Edition, SP 3
Internet explore 7
Spybot 1.6.0, Tea Timer last update 20-08-08 (where do I find the TeaTimer version?)
AVG 8 and windows firewall
No other spyware

I got exactly the same error message of Musiklab, and Tea Timer didn't appear in the process list.
I reached the end of your instructions, every one of them functioned properly but, when I rebooted the PC after enabling still the same error message appeared.

musiklab
2008-08-28, 08:24
Hi, all.
thanks for the generous advice.
I have flushed out all S&D, reinstalled the latest update 1.6.0.3 and when booting I am still experiencing an occasional error message as the first I quoted.
There seems to be no other problem related (as far as I know).
In maybe 1 of 5-10 cold boots it reappears, and the machine runs - albeit without teatimer resident.
After a reboot, teatimer is running OK.
So itīs a minor nuisance I can cope with until some solution appears.
best, Michael.

Greyfox
2008-08-28, 09:39
musiklab,

Quick question - what service pack does your XP have?

henry.newbolt,

(a) Can you goto C:\Windows\system32, find the file kernel32.dll. Right click on it, select properties, then Version and post the full version number, and also can you post the date and time for this file?

(b) I would like to clarify your "Tea Timer didn't appear in the process list". Is this the Task Manager Processes listing you are referring to or something else.
If Teatimer is not appearing in the Task Manager Processes list then it isn't running which is strange given the mention of it in the error message.

(c) If teatimer was running you could right click on the teatimer icon in the task bar, select About and you would see System Settings Protector 1.6.x.x,
however if it isn't running you can alternatively put Spybot into Advanced mode (click on Mode, then advanced, then click on Yes), then click on Tools then click on View report, then on the View report screen click on View report and you will see a listing of the modules with their version numbers. Teatimer should be about 8 down from the top. Can you please post back the version number.

The problem you and musiklab have posted about does not occur in all installations, for instance I have two PC's running Windows XP-Home SP3, and one running XP-Pro SP3. All of them are fully updated with MS updates, and all have Spybot 1.6.0.30. I have not experienced the problem you have posted about on any of them, and they have been run with Teatimer versions 1.6.2.21, 22 and the current 1.6.2.23. All have Zone Alarm Free firewall Version 7.0.483.000, all have Avast Antivirus 4.8.1229 with current VPS. One of the PC's has an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, one an Intel P4 CPU and one an Intel Solo CPU. All have 1GB of memory. I do think however that you are not the only ones to experience it, or something similar.

Edit: Sorry Musiklab, I now see you did state you had SP2.

Greyfox
2008-08-28, 10:20
Others with possibly similar problem.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=33258

musiklab
2008-08-29, 11:30
As someone else mentions ,
AVG8 also has resident spyware detection, and I am running AVG alongside spybot resident. The very few coldboot load problems I have now donīt bother me much, I just reboot warm and then all is fine for the day.

this makes me think of timing issues- or if a certain load-succession of the resident programs would be beneficial
Only I donīt know how to influence *when* something loads at start- I just install the programs and hope for the best. help, anyone ?

At some time I had Norton Ghost 9, AVG8 and Spybot (after installing 1.6) all load and then update via web at the daily first cold boot- that may have been one too many clamoring for access
sometimes - AVG complained of missing server access at startup.
A warm reboot already had some of the daily updating chores done this could explain the 2nd reboot success.
When experiencing the teatimer load thing , I left out Ghost, ( using advanced Spybot settings- resident ) since I donīt think I need it to be ready to backup at any time or even be present in my taskbar- it still backs up as scheduled.
Iīm just guessing -
If anyone can put in a few bits, Iīd be grateful.
Best, Musiklab.

henry.newbolt
2008-09-14, 11:42
henry.newbolt,

(a) Can you goto C:\Windows\system32, find the file kernel32.dll. Right click on it, select properties, then Version and post the full version number, and also can you post the date and time for this file?

(b) I would like to clarify your "Tea Timer didn't appear in the process list". Is this the Task Manager Processes listing you are referring to or something else.
If Teatimer is not appearing in the Task Manager Processes list then it isn't running which is strange given the mention of it in the error message.

(c) If teatimer was running you could right click on the teatimer icon in the task bar, select About and you would see System Settings Protector 1.6.x.x,
however if it isn't running you can alternatively put Spybot into Advanced mode (click on Mode, then advanced, then click on Yes), then click on Tools then click on View report, then on the View report screen click on View report and you will see a listing of the modules with their version numbers. Teatimer should be about 8 down from the top. Can you please post back the version number.

Sorry for being so late in my reply but I was out of home for my job with no internet connection.

a) Kernel32.dll version: 5.1.2600.5512

b) TeaTimer doesn't appear in the Task Manager Process List, so it isn't running at all, it runs only if I open Spybot uncheck the teatimer box in advanced mode and then re-check it.

c) TeaTimer version: 1.6.2.23

My error message at startup is:
System settings protector has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. details:
AppName: teatimer.exe AppVer: 1.6.2.23 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512 Offset: 00012aeb

I can't attach the error report file because is to big for the forum.

Thanks in advance

musiklab
2008-09-15, 12:03
Hi, all.
I have been quiet for a while, but Teatimer still does not load reliably at cold boot. Maybe half the time, it boots OK.
Or I get the same no-start message after some waiting.
In that case, teatimer does not appear in the task manager list.
Then I do a restart/ boot and all is well.
my XP Kernel32 version is 5.1.2600.3119 - if that has any bearing.
Anything I can do to shed more light ?
best rgds, musiklab

robbie1
2008-09-15, 12:41
Problem caused by Spybot - Search & DestroyThis problem was caused by Spybot - Search & Destroy.Recommendation Support for this product is community-based. Typically, this type of support group offers information and resources in a forum format, addressing issues other users have experienced with Spybot - Search & Destroy. In the forum, you can research existing solutions to your current problem, or you can ask the group a question about the problem. To access the support group, go online to the following website: PepiMK Software

musiklab,

If you can't start Spybot at all

First uninstall Spybot from the Control panel add or remove programs, then
follow the procedure in http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html and in particular run the "small fix" mentioned in it.

After the uninstall process above has been completed, reboot the computer and then install the current version of Spybot. During the install you will be offered some options. Make sure Teatimer and the IE browser add on are NOT enabled, and that updates are NOT downloaded during the install.

Once the install has been completed and before starting Spybot, clean out your temporary files at C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp, and at C:\Windows\Temp. Also start your browser and clean out the browser cache.

Now start Spybot - because Teatimer is not enabled at this stage it should start up OK.

Now click on Search for updates on the main screen of Spybot and download them. Normally one would then do an immunise, however in this instance leave that for the moment.

Put Spybot into Advanced mode, then click on Tools, then System Startup. Right click anywhere in the screen that appears, and then click on create snapshot. Now carry out a full scan. If the scan highlights any items in Red, attempt a fix, then reboot and repeat the scan.

When there are no items in red, then proceed with the immunisation, and if you are using Internet Explorer then enable the Browser add on (Spybot/tools/resident then tick resident SD helper. If you can't get a scan clear of red items you may need to post into the malware forum, but post back here first, and when you do, please indicate what service pack your XP is (SP2 or SP3), what firewall software you are using, and whether there ia any other antispyware installed on your computer.

When all of the above is working correctly, enable Teatimer (Spybot/tools/resident then tick the Teatimer box. It should now work without problems.

Please note - during installation and whilst carrying out the above, ensure that your browser is NOT open.

Please post back and let's know if this helps.

Cardiac
2008-09-27, 21:06
I have registered to say I have the same problem, same error message, and it all started when I upgraded to version 1.6.

I too have tried and fresh reinstall after doing a full uninstall and I get the same error message. When I re-booted in between unstallation and installation, obviously I didn't get the error message. And the version of kernel32.dll is also 5.1.2600.5512, the same as henry.newbolt.

Also, I should note that I don't use AVG, even though I should... ;) so that can't be the issue.

spybotsandra
2008-09-29, 10:50
Hello,

Please download the new TeaTimer version 1.6.2 through the integrated updater in Spybot.
You can also download it manually. It is available here (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/beta/teatimer162.exe).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

marinius
2008-09-29, 12:46
Recently I upgraded to servicepack 3. After a series of security updates/hot fixes I experienced the same problem everytime I booted/rebooted windows. I also experienced missing SpyBot and Comodo icons in the notification area of the taskbar and a closed umbrella icon of Avira's AntiVir. After searching Avira's forum for the closed umbrella problem I came upon this thread:

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=293289&highlight=ostuni#post293289

Here's a quotation from pjfarr's thread:

"It was the method they called The Ostuni Workaround. I just went into My Network Places and switched the setting to "Hide icons" and rebooted. That was that. I don't know how that setting got activated in the first place."

After following his advice and rebooting, all problems including the one we're experiencing with teatimer were gone. To check whether this was what was causing those problems, I reverted it back to its former setting and rebooted. Expectedly, the problems were back. So, I'm sure that setting was causing those problems. Please Google "The Ostuni Workaround" to further understand it before changing your settings. It worked for me. Maybe this will help you also.

henry.newbolt
2008-10-01, 17:00
Here's a quotation from pjfarr's thread:

"It was the method they called The Ostuni Workaround. I just went into My Network Places and switched the setting to "Hide icons" and rebooted. That was that. I don't know how that setting got activated in the first place."

I did as suggested and, not only the tea timer problem was solved, but also the fact that the volume and power supply icons wern't displayed.

Thanks

sprachlos
2008-10-01, 22:39
First uninstall Spybot from the Control panel add or remove programs, then follow the procedure in http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html and in particular run the "small fix" mentioned in it.

Sorry man, but this is not(!) true. I just tried it out. This "small fix" said to "remove all remains from the registry"

does NOT remove all remains! After executing this, just make a short Search in your registry and you still will find lot's of stuff from Safer Networking and/or Spybot :-(