PDA

View Full Version : V1.06 startup problem

janjakes
2008-08-23, 12:20
I have tried upgrading to V1.06 but when I click on the Update button I get a popup window telling me I have temp files that may slow down a scan. I am asked if I want S&D to remove these files but it it then tells me it can't remove them as they are in use. This window appears everytime I try and update V1.06 and always has the same negative result.
I have now reverted back to V1.5.2 as I am fedup having this popup appear but I would really like to use the latest version.

How can I stop this popup window from appearing everytime try to update V1.06?

Thanks Jan

Greyfox
2008-08-23, 14:38
janjakes,

The dialogue you refer to I think is the one that comes up when you start Spybot, and only does so if the number of temporary files is more than a preset number (I believe about 100).

The preferred thing to do is to keep your temporary files below this number and then you will not see the message. In addition to slowing down Spybot scans, temporary files are supposed to be just that - temporary. There is no gain leaving them there and in fact they might be sheltering infections.

The two locations for temporary files are c:\Documents and Settings\Username\local settings\temp, and C:\windows\temp.

You need to look at these locations. Whilst some software like Zone Alarm for instance do use temporary files that are locked whilst it is in use, it would seem to me you may have an abnormal condition if there are in excess of 100 "in use" temporary files and the big question is what is using them? (This is based on XP - you don't say what your system is).

You can of course simply decide "shoot the messenger" and stop the dialogue appearing. If so, the following should provide the information you want.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32523

janjakes
2008-08-23, 15:52
Thank you Greyfox for your reply...I have cleared out all the entries in c:\Documents and Settings\Username\local settings\temp, and C:\windows\temp...though only one was identified as a temp file.
Result is positive and I have now re-installed V1.06 and the message no longer appears.

Thanks for your help.

Jan