PDA

View Full Version : spybotsd160 properties file blocked

uziyah
2008-08-24, 14:31
Howdy,

I have recently downloaded sd160 to overwrite an earlier version and am unable to open sd160.

In spybotsd160 properties I have the following message as a security note:

This file came from another computer and may be blocked to help protect this computer.

Spybot resident is working, yet I cannot access sd160...
:shrug:

I attempted to delete the sd160 program but it would not allow.:crazy:

Hoping the educated will help the confused...

Greyfox
2008-08-24, 15:43
uziyah,

If by recently you mean in the last 7 days, OK, otherwise the file you downloaded may not be the latest.

The security note you mention "This file came from another computer ..." is nothing to be concerned about, providing you trust the source that you obtained the file from, in which case just click on the unblock button that was on the properties page.

If you are in any doubt, download the current version from one of the Safer Networking servers on this page.

http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

Now I personally recommend NOT installing a new version over an old version and there are many who have reported problems resulting from this in these forums (yes there are some who didn't have problems as well).

What I recommend is to un-immunise (undo) in the currently installed version, and turn off both Teatimer and the resident SD Browser helper, then uninstall the old version completely.
Refer http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html and also use the very small fix on that page.

Once it has been un-installed, reboot the PC, then install the new version.
During the installation you will be offered a number of options. I recommend NOT initially selecting either the SD browser helper, or Teatimer during the installation, and not downloading the detection updates until the installation is complete. Once you have the program installed, start it up, download the updates from the Search for Updates button on the main screen and then immunise. I would do a complete scan and fix any items in red, any in green are optional. When it is all running smoothly, put Spybot into Advanced mode, goto Tools/IE tweeks and make sure the lock Host file and IE start page are ticked, then goto Tools/System Startup, right click anywhere in the main part of the screen and select Create Snapshot. Close Spybot, then reopen, goto Tools/Resident and tick the SD Browser helper and if you wish to run it, Teatimer, and that should be it.

Greyfox
2008-08-24, 15:52
uziyah,

If by recently you mean in the last 7 days, OK, otherwise the file you downloaded may not be the latest.

The security note you mention "This file came from another computer ..." is nothing to be concerned about, providing you trust the source that you obtained the file from, in which case just click on the unblock button that was on the properties page.

If you are in any doubt, download the current version from one of the Safer Networking servers on this page.

http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

Now I personally recommend NOT installing a new version over an old version and there are many who have reported problems resulting from this in these forums (yes there are some who didn't have problems as well).

What I recommend it to un-immunise (undo) in the currently installed version, and turn off both Teatimer and the resident SD Browser helper, then uninstall the old version completely.
Refer http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html and also use the very small fix on that page.

Once it has been un-installed, reboot the PC, then install the new version.
During the installation you will be offered a number of options. I recommend NOT initially selecting either the SD browser helper, or Teatimer during the installation, and not downloading the detection updates until the installation is complete. Once you have the program installed, start it up, download the updates from the Search for Updates button on the main screen and then immunise. I would do a complete scan and fix any items in red, any in green are optional. When it is all running smoothly, put Spybot into Advanced mode, goto Tools/IE tweeks and make sure the lock Host file and IE start page are ticked, then goto Tools/System Startup, right click anywhere in the main part of the screen and select Create Snapshot. Close Spybot, then reopen, goto Tools/Resident and tick the SD Browser helper and if you wish to run it, Teatimer, and that should be it.

uziyah
2008-08-24, 23:21
:bigthumb:Thank you for the prompt response. I did download the fix and removed the earlier version. However, I did so before your post and resident and teatimer issues were not addressed.:oops:

SSD160 loaded and appears to be working fine. Should I expect problems? If so, how can I remedy my quick play?

Thank you very much for the help.:bigthumb:

uziyah
2008-08-25, 01:45
:sad: We have 4 users on this CPU and 3 of the 4 log ons work fine, everything loads.

On the 4th log on, a light blue screen with only 4 items on it appears with all folders empty.

My 8 year old is taking it well, it's his log on.

The log on page has his pic in it, yet when it loads his stuff is gone.

Running an immunization scan all the same processes show on his log on.

Short lived celebrations stink :sad:

Any suggestions will be appreciated....uziyah

uziyah
2008-08-25, 02:54
FYI:

1 of our 4 log ons has disappeared but the good news is the documents for the lost log on can be accessed through any of the other 3 log ons...

Greyfox
2008-08-25, 09:32
uziyah,

Does this help
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=221403&postcount=2

uziyah
2008-08-26, 01:41
Thanks Greyfox...

I hate being S T U P I D !

The easy fix did not work (seldom does)so I am in the process of setting up another log-on with the documents that I have recovered.

Can I mail someone my CPU?

Just kidding...Thanks again...uziyah :cowboy:

uziyah
2008-09-08, 00:48
Greyfox,

I had 2 user profiles corrupted by the SSD download. Got things running again, but noticed in the programs menu, My Computer, the 2 corrupted users are not in My Computer. They have their stuff in Documents only.

Suggestions?

Hoping the educated will once again help the confused.

Thanks,

uziyah:crazy: