PDA

View Full Version : Unable to modify entries in hosts file after deleting Windows.Redirected host

Helpneed
2006-03-28, 22:05
I run Spybot S&D 1.4, and it recognized the entry in hosts file "127.0.0.1 ask.com" as Windows.Redirected host. I deleted the host by clicking "Fix selected problem" button on Spybot S&D, and now I cannot modify or add entries in hosts file. (Windows XP SP2); "Cannot create the C:/Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file. Make sure that the path and filename are correct." message appears when I try to save the hosts file after modifying/adding entries in it.

I would truly appreciate if anyone would help me on this issue.
I am awaiting your generous assistance!

Zenobia
2006-03-28, 22:32
Open Spybot,click mode,then switch to advanced mode.Click tools on the left,
then ietweaks.If there's a checkmark next to 'Lock Host file read-only as protection against hijackers',remove the checkmark,to be able to add or remove entries from your hosts file.See if that works.

To return Spybot to default mode afterwards,you can click mode,then default mode.

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-28, 22:35
Also:

Using Windows Explorer navigate to the HOSTS file > right click > select Properties > near the bottom look at the Attributes and make sure that Read-only is not checked (if it is uncheck it).

Helpneed
2006-03-29, 01:29
Thank you soooooooooo much, Zenobia and md usa spybot fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Problem resolved!:bigthumb: ; by using md usa spybot fan's method, manual uncheck of "Read-only" attibute in the Properties.

Thank you!!!!!:D

Zenobia
2006-03-29, 01:46
You're welcome.