PDA

View Full Version : Windows Security Center

JeanW
2008-08-26, 23:04
My apologies if this topic is convered elsewhere on the forums, but I've looked around and can't find EXACTLY the same code or problem.
I am a new user of Spybot. When running the first time a week ago and now when scanning again, I receive the same notice:

Microsoft WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled
(SBI $2E20C9A9)Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Serviceswscsvc\Start9is not)W=2

I am not entirely sure what this means, if it's related to my password setting for start-up or some kind of notification on Security Center updates. I also have Norton Internet Security installed (which will not be renewed when it comes up again!) and wonder if there is an issue there, between Norton and Windows? My updates for Windows Security are 'automatic' as are the Norton updates.

I don't want to ignore a potential problem, but also do not want to create a further problem by fixing something that might be legitimate.
I am not all that conversant with registries and such.

Please help!
Thanks.
JeanW

drragostea
2008-08-26, 23:49
There should not be any problems with Norton and Windows (if there were, then Norton would have incompatibility issues).

The entry you are receiving is related to the Windows Security Center. It usually means that one or more of the tabs (Firewall, Automatic Updates, Virus Protection) are instructed to ignore the monitoring.

This might be the users decision or a software (Norton) that covers both Firewall and Anti-virus Protection.

In this case, it would be likely because you are using a Internet Security Suite.

Your best choice would be to instruct Spybot to ignore it during future scans :santa:. You can find that option after the scan with a right-click on the entry.

Safe surfing.

JeanW
2008-08-27, 01:46
drragostea,
Thanks for your reply.
It is a little puzzling, as I had checked and all the Windows Security Components (Virus, Firewall and Automatic Updates) are currently working and 'on'.
All the Norton components are working as well, with the exception of the email scanning which I assign to AVG.
(I am now wondering if there is some incompatibility with the two Firewalls, and should I be turning on or the other off?)
Currently, I am feeling fairly confident that the protection level is high and everything is working as it should.
Any other thoughts?
Jean

drragostea
2008-08-27, 03:18
Yes, they all should be working at full potential. You might want to check if the default Windows Firewall is still on.

Go to Control Panel>Security Center> and under Manage Settings: Windows Firewall. It should be turned off, in order to avoid conflicts with the Norton firewall.