PDA

View Full Version : Error Message "Resident Needs To Close"

Kathleen564
2008-08-27, 04:20
Hello,
I am new to this forum, and not sure I am posting in correct place - Have you considered a forum titled "user help"? :red:

I am receiving an error notice that states
"Resident needs to close".......etc.

It has only been happening for the last couple of days, and doesn't happen everytime I start my computer.

It didn't start directly after an update, although it did not happen until after I downloaded Spybot 160.

The Pane that apears asks if I want to send a report -
if I click yes I get the following screen.

Oh, also the little resident icon disapears from the taskbar (so resident program closes/exits).

below is screen-shot
=======================================
Help and Support | Security | Microsoft Update

Problem caused by Spybot - Search & DestroyThis problem was caused by Spybot - Search & Destroy.Recommendation Support for this product is community-based. Typically, this type of support group offers information and resources in a forum format, addressing issues other users have experienced with Spybot - Search & Destroy. In the forum, you can research existing solutions to your current problem, or you can ask the group a question about the problem. To access the support group, go online to the following website: PepiMK Software

© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use | Accessibility | Privacy Statement | Trademarks
========================================

Any suggestions?
How do I keep resident from exiting??
What has gone wrong?

thank you
Kathleen564

fabius
2008-08-27, 10:47
Yes I have exactly the same error every time I boot up my PC (XP SP3). A MS window appears saying the OS has to close and suggesting I report the error. That leads to the MS web page you quote. Apparently there is some conflict with S&D because in fact neither Teatimer nor SpyBot load (I have the latest versions - installed a couple of days ago).

Both utilities can be loaded manually after Windows boots.
fabius

tashi
2008-08-27, 17:54
Hello Kathleen564,

What is your operating system, do you also have SP3?

Could both you and fabius list all the security programs installed on your computers please.

Best regards. :)

fabius
2008-08-27, 18:10
Apart from Teatimer I load AVG virus protection at boot.

SpyBot scans OK if loaded manually after booting. I have several other services running such as ups, vm-ware, etc. Details on request.

fabius

tashi
2008-08-28, 04:18
Hi there,

With only two people reporting this problem as far as I know, there isn't much to go on.

If Kathleen564 can respond to her topic with more details it might be useful in ruling out certain factors.

fabius, which version of AVG do you have?

Best regards.

fabius
2008-08-28, 10:14
Hi Tashi,
I have the latest free version of AVG, 8.0.138. The spyware option is active.

During today's boot I picked up more details. The initial window says:
Systems settings protector
AppName: teatimer.exe AppVer: 1.6.2.23 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512 Offset: 00012aeb

The system prepared a file for submitting to MS, called 7353_appcompat.txt but I cant find it. Would the event viewer help?
fabius

Greyfox
2008-08-28, 10:17
Hi there,

With only two people reporting this problem as far as I know, there isn't much to go on.

Tashi,

Two more with similar problems - only common thing I can see at the moment is AVG 8

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=33088

fabius
2008-08-28, 11:18
I see the other thread. Should I desert Kathleen564 and join it?

Instinctively, I feel this is caused by the order in which processes are loaded.
Does the S&D Start-up List indicate the order? If so, how can I change it?

I also have KernelFaultCheck in the start-up (%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k). It is one of the first things to run.
fabius

ObamaMama
2008-08-28, 11:36
Hello,
I am new to this forum, and not sure I am posting in correct place - Have you considered a forum titled "user help"? :red:

I am receiving an error notice that states
"Resident needs to close".......etc.

It has only been happening for the last couple of days, and doesn't happen everytime I start my computer.

It didn't start directly after an update, although it did not happen until after I downloaded Spybot 160.

The Pane that apears asks if I want to send a report -
if I click yes I get the following screen.

Oh, also the little resident icon disapears from the taskbar (so resident program closes/exits).

below is screen-shot
=======================================
Help and Support | Security | Microsoft Update

Problem caused by Spybot - Search & DestroyThis problem was caused by Spybot - Search & Destroy.Recommendation Support for this product is community-based. Typically, this type of support group offers information and resources in a forum format, addressing issues other users have experienced with Spybot - Search & Destroy. In the forum, you can research existing solutions to your current problem, or you can ask the group a question about the problem. To access the support group, go online to the following website: PepiMK Software

© 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of use | Accessibility | Privacy Statement | Trademarks
========================================

Any suggestions?
How do I keep resident from exiting??
What has gone wrong?

Kathleen564

Yes I have exactly the same error every time I boot up my PC (XP SP3). A MS window appears saying the OS has to close and suggesting I report the error. That leads to the MS web page you quote. Apparently there is some conflict with S&D because in fact neither Teatimer nor SpyBot load (I have the latest versions - installed a couple of days ago).
thank you

Both of these have been happening since I updated to XP SP3 and the teatimer update about 2 weeks ago. I've had to turn off teatimer at startup

Cardiac
2008-09-27, 20:57
Hello fellow users,

I've registered for this forum only to add myself as one who is experiencing this error as well, and it all started when I upgraded to version 1.6. I too am running Window SP3. I hope to find a way to correct this problem. After all, TeaTimer is a pretty useful component.

2008-09-28, 03:57
please see this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32484

From there you can download a test version of teatimer that is supposed to fix this issue. It worked for me. Read the entire thread provided in the link.

hope that helps! :)