PDA

View Full Version : WindowSecurityCenter FirewallOverride???

MacPeter
2008-08-29, 01:49
Hi,

One of the French users has this:

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.FirewallOverride

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SecurityCenter\FirewallOverride[is not]dword:0

He only has WindowsFirewall running.

What can I tell him?

Thanks for your answers.

drragostea
2008-08-29, 04:42
Hello.

If I'm correct, this entry usually means that the Windows Security Center (firewall tab) in Windows XP is set to "not monitor". It means that the user will monitor the firewall's status [manually] or that a firewall is installed on the user's computer that is unknown (undetectable) by Windows Security Center.

MacPeter, is the French user using a Security Suite or perhaps another firewall?

Is the Firewall tab in the Security Center Yellow?

Also can you ask the user what security software (whether that is a firewall, anti-virus/spyware programs) is installed on the computer?

MacPeter
2008-08-29, 22:13
Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

I can answer one of your questions:

The user has Windows firewall.

I will have to ask him for the rest.

I will be back.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-29, 22:27
MacPeter:

... The user has Windows firewall. ...
What OS is the user running?

Although the Windows XP firewall is better than having no firewall, it only filters incoming traffic and therefore is not as secure as other firewalls that filter both incoming and outgoing traffic.

Microsoft recognized this weakness and improved the Windows Vista firewall to support filtering for both incoming and outgoing traffic.

I either case if the user is running a Windows provided firewall, the detection should be fixed.

MacPeter
2008-09-07, 01:56
Yes, his OS is XP.

Well, I am from a security sub-forum myself so I keep telling people about Windows firewall(XP;)).

But in the end it's up to them to have the right reaction.

drragostea
2008-09-07, 02:05
But in the end it's up to them to have the right reaction.

I understand.

Post #2, explains it all.