PDA

View Full Version : Malware Infection/New, unusual blue death screens

greg2020
2008-08-29, 11:59
A few hours ago, some vicious virus got onto my computer (I think because I ran an old version of internet explorer.) It changed my desktop theme and backdrop to some loud blaring ad saying that I had viruses and I've gotten different blue screens. One that started with Maximum_wait_objects_exceeded and another that started with page_fault_nonpaged area that actually popped up while running spybot in safe mode.

Read the read before posting, ran the necessary programs (spybot) in safe mode,) still got weird blue screens and this is what my log looks like:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 1:51:00 AM, on 8/29/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {61005B2D-A6BB-4EB6-BD07-CE3673882A6E} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\atcchep.dll
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: shdocsmtp - c:\docume~1\caitli~1\locals~1\temp\shdocsmtp.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe

--
End of file - 2329 bytes

pskelley
2008-08-30, 19:45
Welcome to Safer Networking, I wish to be sure you have viewed and understand this information.
"BEFORE you POST" (READ this Procedure before Requesting Assistance)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288
All advice given is taken at your own risk.
Please make sure you have read this information so we are on the same page.

No idea what this is, we will ask combofix to take a look.

1) We need first to disable TeaTimer that it doesn't interfere with fixes. You can re-enable it when you're clean again:
* Run Spybot-S&D in Advanced Mode.
* If it is not already set to do this Go to the Mode menu select "Advanced Mode"
* On the left hand side, Click on Tools
* Then click on the Resident Icon in the List
* Uncheck "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts.
* Restart your computer.
(leave TT disabled until we finish)

A word of warning: Neither I nor sUBs are responsible for any damage you may have caused your machine by running ComboFix on your own. This tool is not a toy and not for everyday use.

2) Remove any old copies of combofix before you proceed.

Thanks to sUBs and anyone else who helped with this fix.

It is important that it is saved directly to your Desktop.

Download ComboFix from Here (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe) to your Desktop

Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log and a HiJackthis log in your next reply

Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall

Post the combofix log and a new HJT log.

Tutorial
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Thanks

pskelley
2008-09-06, 17:07
Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team
a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or your helper a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.