PDA

View Full Version : Spybot wont launch!

anthemmaster
2008-08-30, 03:46
Hi, i installed s&d on my friends machines in his office a few weeks back. He phoned today saying one of his machines was infected with xp antivirus so i told him to run s&d. The problem is the programme wont start. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling which it does fine, i went into programme files and ran the update which worked and done updates. Still the programme wont run.All that happens is the DOS wiindow pops up for a millisecond then goes. Any advice would be appreciated. I installed adaware free after not being able to start s&d which found and supposedly deleted the xp antivirus, but after re-boot its still there.S&D usually comes up trumps for fixin stuff but it just wont run!!Anthem

drragostea
2008-08-30, 05:13
You'll have to tell your friend to try to rename the Spybot-SD desktop icon. So, it'll have to be renamed from "Spybot - Search & Destroy" to something like "Spybot-SD". Some of the most notorious malware tend to disable the execution of anti-spyware programs.

Keep both of them up-to-date and run a scan in 'Safe Mode'.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
--
Does your friend use an anti-virus program? If it is able to update and fire it up and perform a full scan.

Keep us posted with the progress.