PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer Causes Application Hang

MIFlyer
2008-09-01, 01:47
Since I did the latest Spybot upgrade, which I believe included a Teatimer upgrade, I have had serious problems with application hang. I cannot disconnect from the Internet. When I try to shut down the computer I get a "Teatimer must be shut down" error from Windows and even then, after it finishes the countdown, it still will not shut down. I have to click on the box that comes up to shut down Teatimer manually or else go into Windows Task Manager to shut down Teatimer.

Is there a way to revert to the earlier version of Teatimer that did not have this problem?

Greyfox
2008-09-01, 07:44
Since I did the latest Spybot upgrade, which I believe included a Teatimer upgrade, I have had serious problems with application hang. I cannot disconnect from the Internet. When I try to shut down the computer I get a "Teatimer must be shut down" error from Windows and even then, after it finishes the countdown, it still will not shut down. I have to click on the box that comes up to shut down Teatimer manually or else go into Windows Task Manager to shut down Teatimer.

Is there a way to revert to the earlier version of Teatimer that did not have this problem?

The crystal ball is very cloudy - what operating system are you using, what type and speed is your CPU, and how much memory does your PC have?

If Teatimer is running right click on the Teatimer icon (small spybot icon with padlock) in the task bar, select about and you will see the version number details for both Spybot and Teatimer. Can you please advise what these are.
If Teatimer is not running, open Spybot. (If it's not already in Advanced mode, click on Mode, then Advanced then click on Yes). Now goto tools, then click on View Report. On the View Report page click on View Report. Look down the list and find SpybotSD.exe and Teatimer.exe and the version of each is shown in the brackets. Please post these details.

Now, what version of Spybot were you running before you did the update?
I'm assuming the update was installed over the top of an earlier version, and whilst some will say this should be OK, others have reported problems. My advice is to un-immunise (use undo on immunise screen), Untick SD Helper and Teatimer (Tools/Resident screen), exit Spybot, reboot, then uninstall Spybot from the Control panel add/remove function. If you want to go the extra distance, you can run "this very small fix" from http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html to clear out any residual registry entries, then do a clean install of the latest version of Spybot which can be dowloaded from any of the sites at http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html.

During the install you will be offered some options. I would recommend NOT making Teatimer or SD helper active at this stage, and leaving the update download until you have completed the install. After the install is complete, reboot, start Spybot, download the updates and then do a complete scan. When the scan is clear (only concerned with red items here), put Spybot into Advanced mode, then goto tools/system start up. Right click anywhere on the right hand side of the page and select create snapshot. Now goto tools/resident and tick SD Helper and if you want Teatimer to run, tick it also. Exit Spybot and reboot.

Please post back and let's know whether the above has overcome your problem.

MIFlyer
2008-09-03, 02:12
Okay, I am running Windows XP Home Edition, sp2, 2.4GHZ Celeron, 768MB RAM.

I currently have Spybot Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20

I have always simply installed updates via the update function; this is the first time I have had a problem of any kind, and it did appear right after a teatimer upgrade was installed.

I turned off Teatimer earlier today via Windows task manager and the problem has not occurred since then.

As for your other recommendations, it will be some time before I can implement any of those, since I am in the process of getting my house ready to withstand Hurricane Hanna and may even be evacuating the area, depending what the situation is for the next day or so.

Thanks very much for your help!

spybotsandra
2008-09-03, 15:39
Hello,

There can be problems with the new TeaTimer and an old Spybot version, so please upgrade.
You will find links to several download locations on our website.
These mirrors are partners who provide places to host Spybot-S&D for us.
You can download from one of them, it's secure and they all contain the same data:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot