PDA

View Full Version : System Settings Protector?

huntleyrussell
2008-09-01, 19:15
Every time my PC starts up, I get a warning from Windows that the "System Settings Protector" has to close. When I followed the link on the error report, Microsoft reported the problem arising with Spybot. I recently updated to Spybot 1.6.0 which is when the problem started coming up. Other than that, the computer runs great, but I was worried this might be the sign of a greater problem. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP and a variety of different programs. Please help and any further questions I will answer as soon as possible.

spybotsandra
2008-09-01, 19:22
Hello,

We would like to research this case further.
Please send us a complete bug report. In order to do so, please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to Advanced Mode via the menu item Mode, let it scan, try to fix the problems (!) and then go to "Tools" --> "View Report". Tick all the 10 checkboxes (leave "Do not report disabled or known legitimate items" unchecked) you can find there and click on "View Report". Now choose "Export" and save the file to your desktop. Please attach this file to your email and send it again to detections(at)spybot.info.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

annesmith
2008-09-02, 11:07
Just to say that I also have this problem.

I also recently upgraded Spybot but the error message about the Systems Settings Protector only started a few days ago, not immediately I upgraded.

I will email the report as Sandra requested.

Anne

peterscarlett
2008-09-03, 00:21
I have the same problem every time I start Windows. Underneath the close down window is an application error window which says:
Exception EOutOfResources in module Teatimer.exe at 00468FC. Cannot create shell notification icon.

peterscarlett
2008-09-03, 00:36
Further to my previous email if I close down the application error window and run TeaTimer.exe from the Spybot folder the programme runs and the icon appears in the task bar.

huntleyrussell
2008-09-03, 00:44
Apparently, they are looking into it. It doesn't seem to affect my system one way or another, but when I see an error message pop up, I start to worry. Anyone have any ideas about this? By the way, what is the "System Settings Protector"?

2008-09-03, 03:47
is teatimer, see: http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/index.html for frequently asked questions on teatimer (system settings protector) Also you can find some common questions you may have there. :) I hope that answers huntleyrussell's question. :)

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-03, 05:02
huntleyrussell:

spybotsandra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=5) requested information. Did you send it?

doobie1
2008-09-03, 14:47
And I too have exactly the same problem although I can not recall if I or spybot made updates.

I have scanned and completed a log as above and sent it to detections (at) spybot.info

huntleyrussell
2008-09-03, 15:59
huntleyrussell:

spybotsandra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=5) requested information. Did you send it?

Yes. I sent the report to detections@spybot.info. Did y'all receive it? I sent it from huntleyrussell@gmail.com.

spybotsandra
2008-09-03, 16:01
Hello,

We have received it and will collect a few to search for things in common.
Please be patient.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

huntleyrussell
2008-09-03, 20:41
I'll wait. Thank you for your assistance. Hope you can find out what's going on.

doobie1
2008-09-07, 01:05
Any thoughts yet spybot team

doobie1
2008-09-10, 01:03
Well looks like this thread is not being followed up anymore.

There is another thread here

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32484

Looks like a problem with latest teatimer update - der

1 post has gone to a previous version 1.5.2 and has no problem anymore.

But if updating again it of course installs new teatimer and causes problem.

others have uninstalled / re-installed etc, but get same error.

There are questions are about RAM - but this has nothing to do with error.

So, to solve error for a while maybe un-instal and re-install 1.5.2 for the time being until fix of teatimer.

Greyfox
2008-09-10, 08:45
doobie1,

This would appear to be a complex issue if only because of the number of permutations possible in terms of both hardware, operating systems and other software being used, and the fact that many, perhaps even the majority of users are not experiencing these probems with Teatimer (the system settings protector). For instance I have it running on three different computers and have no problems with it at all. So I would not expect a very quick solution although I'm sure the program authors are doing their best to see if they can resolve the issue. In the meantime, I would suggest that going backwards to version 1.5.2.20 is not the best solution. I would instead recommend simply staying with version 1.6.0.30 or 31 which ever you have but disabling Teatimer. Start Spybot, put it into advanced mode, then click on Tools, then Resident, then untick the box next to Teatimer. Close Spybot -a reboot would also then not hurt.

MisterW
2008-09-10, 08:46
Hello,
I did receive your report and we are analyzing it. We are still working on the problem.

regards,
Markus

huntleyrussell
2008-09-10, 14:38
Team Spybot,

Feel free to request other information, i.e. programs I run, operating system, computer specifications, etc.

spybotsandra
2008-09-10, 15:11
Hello,

Please open the registry editor by:
(a)
press windowskey + r then enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)
or
(b)
click on "start" , then "run" and enter "regedit" (without quotation marks)

(a+b)
and then browse to the path under:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Safer Networking Limited\SpybotSnD

Please export the key "run" by rightclicking on it and choosing export. If you export, export only the selected structure.
Give the file a name like teatimer.reg and attach it to your next email you submit to us to detections(at)spybot.info .
If possible also add the file or files referenced to a zip or rar archive and add them to your reply.
Thanks. :-)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

spybotsandra
2008-09-11, 12:42
Hello,

Could you please do the following for us?

1. Send us your teatimer.exe
2. Open the update folder ( c:\programme\spybot - search & destroy\updates ) and start the teatimer161.exe from there and install it.
Is the error still present?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

MysticMatilda
2008-09-12, 18:39
Recently I had to completely re-install XP.
One of the last components I installed was SpyBot S&D.
(Help-About reports v1.6..0.30 whilst the systems setting protector is currently v1.6.2.23)
TeaTimer has been working great, right up to the point where I installed LiveMessenger...
Since then it's been the usual story with the Settings Protector pop-up at every boot up. Do you want/need any logs from me at all?
If so what/how etc. !!

emredrum
2008-09-14, 03:59
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32484&page=5