PDA

View Full Version : SB S&D 'Knocked-out'??

pfa11
2008-09-01, 20:40
Hello, good people. I have the latest S&D installed and it no longer seems to detect ANYTHING.

I'll admit I visit some 'shady' sites, and run S&D after each time I do. In the past, S&D would always find a bunch of malware, now I get: "Congrats! S&D found nothing". Has S&D been 'jacked?

PS: Same with AdAware, although sometimes AdAware will show "MRU"'s.

PPS: The computer seems OK, although a little slow at times.

Cheers. Thank you very much...:bigthumb:

spybotsandra
2008-09-01, 20:49
Hello,

In older versions there might be more found in a scan than in the newest version.
That refers to the cookies.
Doubleclick and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc. are so called tracking cookies. We have improved the detection for this cookies and rated some as not bad. So this is ok, nothing to worry. ;-)

But to make sure you can run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

If still nothing is found you have probably activated the resident protection of Spybot - Search & Destroy that is blocking the baddies from getting into your system.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

pfa11
2008-09-01, 21:06
:crowned: Wow! Quick reply!

Thanks Sandra, I just recalled that I clear all the 'junk' before running S&D/AdA.... And I DO have the resident shield activated (the S&D icon in the bottom tray shows 'junk' "locked"). So the fantastic folks @ SaferNetworks are really doing their job and we sure appreciate it! Thanks!

I'm about to run HJThis and see what it says. Thanks!

PS: ea. time when S&D's initiated, a box prompts "there are, ie, 165 files that S&D would like to remove, would you like to remove?". I click "YES", but the prompt informs me S&D could not remv., ie, 125 files 'cause they're "in use". How do I remove them?? I'm new to Wdos. XP Home Ed, and when I go to "C\Wdos\...", I no longer see "Temp. Internet Files" displayed (as in Wdos. 98SE), but rather only "Temp.", which gives limited info compared to SE.

Cheers, Thx... :bow:

2008-09-01, 21:25
are just programs that are already running that are storing temporary information. These files are just temporary, and the reason spybot removes them upon launch is that it speeds up the scanning process. :) There is no need to remove the ones that could not be removed. I hope that answers your question... :bigthumb:

pfa11
2008-09-01, 22:50
Thanks, 12... Just checked (forgot to "Immunize" S&D last time). There are 162 stored files that S&D is unable to remove. While they may be 'harmless', I'd like ta' give 'em the boot, anyway.

Could anyone direct me to the Temp. Internet Files I cannot locate on my HD as described in my prev. post, two above??

Thanks again for the quick responses

drragostea
2008-09-02, 02:02
Hello pfa.

When you boot Spybot-Search&Destroy, Spybot scans for the amount of temp. files currently stored in:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp.
C:\Windows\Temp.
If there are more than 100 temp. files, Spybot-SD will prompt the user if they wish to clear them.

The general idea is that, the less temp. files, the faster scanning time and vice versa.

If the temp. file is "locked" or is in use, it usually means that a program is in use/active.

A reboot should clear it up.

Safe surfing.