PDA

View Full Version : Xp windows user login profiles lost

legofreak
2008-09-01, 21:50
I've got a Gateway P4 2GHz running Windows XP Pro (v.2002) SP2.
I just updated to SpyBot 1.6.0, ran the updates and immunized.
NOW I CAN'T LOGIN TO MY WINDOWS USERS. The users are all still on my Windows startup screen (and it still remembers passwords for those that are protected), but when it tries to logon, it tells me
"Windows cannot find the local user profile...This may be caused by a corrupt file...if this continues, contact your administrator" or words to that effect. At the bottom of the dialog box (which has to be scrolled to, BTW), it says the profile is being used by another. WTF?
My only option is to click OK, at which point I get another dialog box telling me that it can't find my profile (or whatever) and that it's going to log me in to a guest session.
Can anybody help?
P.S. I'm posting a similar plea to the makers of AVG free, seeing as that's the only other thing that's "messed with my machine" since my last logon to another of my users.

2008-09-01, 22:11
see this post: http://forums.spybot.info/blog.php?b=14

I hope that helps you overcome this problem.

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-02, 00:07
legofreak:

Because Spybot 1.5 and above locks the profile of other user accounts while it is doing a scan, you cannot:
Switch users while a Spybot scan is still running.
Kill the Spybot scan and then switch users.
If either of these situations occur, reboot the system and everything should return to normal.