PDA

View Full Version : Small silly problem, but can't fix

berryh01
2008-09-02, 07:28
I'm new here and have a problem thats more an annoyance, but I can't get it fixed. About two weeks ago I did a SpyBot S&D update. After over 2 hours downloading, the final step was a download of ver 1.6.0 (I was using 1.5.2). I tried to install the download, but several screens in, I get the message the download is corrupt and cannot be installed. I dumped the download, redownloaded 1.6.0 full and installed no problem.

My problem comes from a strange after affect. All my Windows XP dialog boxes that list files now appear in reverse list order, in nearly all my programs. This includes "Search", "Open", "Save As", etc. They were even reversed in Windows Explorer. I've tried resetting folder view to default, no help.

Any ideas on where to fix this in the XP registry? I am familiar with the Win 98 registry, but am pretty new to the XP registry. BTW, Trend AV and SpyBot S&D both say no infection after several deep scans.

spybotsandra
2008-09-02, 12:44
Hello,

That is probably because you have Spybot also on this context menu for single file scans.
You just need to remove the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdfiles

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\sdfiles

For more information, please take a look into our forums:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30678

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

berryh01
2008-09-05, 08:37
Thanks Sandra, sorry I took so long getting back here. I posted the same question on a couple of Windows XP forums and was lucky to talk with a moderator from one in Yahoo Messenger.

He said up-front it is NOT a Spybot issue, it was probably an effect of the bad download and attempting to install it. With his help I had things fixed in less than 5 minutes.

He had me open "My Computer", switch to folders view, select "Local Disc (C:)" in the Folders list (left panel), then set the type of view in the right panel to "Details View" with "Name ascending" . I then went to Tools>Folder Options>View and clicked the button "Apply to All Folders".

This reset Explorer to my original Details view AND reset all the various dialog boxes to default "List" view with name ascending.

If you think this might be of future help, please feel free to add this to the Spybot FAQ. (Even though it is not a direct Spybot issue) But also note, I don't know if this method will work on XP Home edition, I have XP Pro and that was all he and I discussed.

Thanks again Sandra, I am very happy to learn it was not related to Spybot as I will not boot my computer without Spybot resident. Gotta love that program!!!