PDA

View Full Version : spybot search & distroy some how messing with spyware blaster.

kissbaby
2008-09-03, 16:48
:sad:

todays date 9-3-2008
time 7:39am
--------

OK,,,before i begin,,here are my stats.

dell dimension 2400
windows xp home sp3

avast antivirus free
spybot search and distroy
spware blaster.

ad-aware

i always keep my windows updated.
the listed protection is the most recent version.
they are always updated.

some how i think maybe or maybe not spybot search and distroy is interfering with enabling protection against this one cookie in spware blaster,,so i think.

spware blaster wont enable protection against:
(cool websearch / 5starvideo.com)

when i click enable all protection it seems to do just that.
but when i go to re-open spyware blaster that one "restricted site" item shows up not blocked in the list.

i just noticed this today when i updated.

i just downloaded cw shredder,,,it found nothing,,,so I'm clean there.
--
it does this when i bring up spybot search and distroy first
and then i close that one
then i bring up spyware blaster and thats when i have to re-enble protection on that one item in the restricted site list,,, .
i know its messing up spyware blaster some how,,,i have yet to figure out how.

and yes i just updated both programs today.

blues
2008-09-03, 18:11
i noticed this today too, i just looked at spywareblaster after reading your thread here and i have seen exactly the same as you. i updated spywareblaster yesterday and it wasnt like this then, everything was protected in spywareblaster yesterday. it happened after updating and immunizing with spybot today.

i immunized with spywareblaster again and then everything was being immunized, but after opening spybot and clicking on the immunize button in spybot and then closing spybot and opening spywareblaster then the same thing happened again, spywareblaster was closed when doing this.

ME_2&
2008-09-03, 19:22
.. in SB41 (db update 9/2/2008), I simply ticked "Enable All Protection" since that blessed list is so long and couldn't seem to find

(cool websearch / 5starvideo.com)

.. on my list it's CoolWebSearch (*) in left column (where * is a number from 2-2801 currently) and the address in right column, couldn't find 5starvideo there - nothing between (21) 4pokertips.com and (22) 69teenage.com

Lol, good ol' freebie toolbars and search engines ;)

blues
2008-09-03, 19:38
couldn't find 5starvideo there

you couldnt find it? if you have the latest updates to spywareblaster then you will have it there too. just look closer:laugh:

kissbaby
2008-09-04, 03:56
people in the spyware blasters forum have now noticed the same thing as me,,,, as soon as i posted my thread there.

check it out.

the two sites just need to notify each other is all.

they do work well together if the makers of these products would drop each other a line or two once in awhile.

i hope this site puts out a fix.

i'm glad i'm not the only one having the exact same problem.

Joeyg.
2008-09-06, 05:18
Kissbaby,

I noticed your thread and thought at first it was just my computer.

Like you Windows XP, NAV 08 (all clean), adaware (clean), but after
running S & D, it unrestricts that one site?

Has anyone been able to help you resolve this issue.

wyrmrider
2008-09-06, 06:22
IMHO
There is not just a SpywareBlaster list and a Spybot list
They are the same list in your computer
if there was a listing in Spybot and/ or spywareblaster
and then Spybot put in a removal for that listing
then
the listing would be removed for both Spybot and Spywareblaster and any other list source.
In the case of Active X there is just the DO NOT EXECUTE BIT
which can be switched back and forth by several programs
Pick the results you want and run that program last

now let's see what's the experts say

DougCuk
2008-09-06, 14:30
The entry that is being disabled by Spybot in the SpywareBlaster list is:
CoolWebSearch (1630) - with the url address 5starvideos.com

Might be nice to know why Spybot is changing an existing Restricted Sites entry - I thought it just added entries. But no harm in adding it back with SpywareBlaster - just click the "Enable All Protection" option.

blues
2008-09-06, 14:41
here is from the spywareblaster forum about this: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=219532

drragostea
2008-09-06, 21:15
...I would strongly disagree with 'ski123' about "dumping" Spybot-SD. Apparently, he/she does not give a 'crap' about Spybot-SD or they are just ignorant of Spybot-SD.

bitman
2008-09-07, 03:11
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't personally think that a small web site for a business that makes videos of Weddings, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, and other Special Events is probably much of a threat.

My guess would be that the site was erroneously added to the common list that Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster work from, maybe because they were temporarily sourcing some malware due to a site compromse. It may be that the Spybot Team got notified of this error earlier than JavaCool, so they've already removed it from their detections.

This is all just a guess, but it's why I don't use Immunize or Spyware Blaster on anything but Windows 2000 anymore. There are better technologies built into most current A/V suite products today to deal with these issues. Bloated Restricted Sites lists and Hosts files are an ancient 'static' method of dealing with these issues.

Bitman

drragostea
2008-09-07, 04:38
This is all just a guess, but it's why I don't use Immunize or Spyware Blaster on anything but Windows 2000 anymore. There are better technologies built into most current A/V suite products today to deal with these issues. Bloated Restricted Sites lists and Hosts files are an ancient 'static' method of dealing with these issues.

Bitman

Bitman, I thought about what you said there... You may be right. You certainly have more knowledge than me in this subject.

Would you recommend any "suites"?
If not then what individual AV?
-
I've already seen the AV thread in the Tavern, so no need to point me there.

Thank you,
drragostea

blues
2008-09-07, 05:07
Bloated Restricted Sites lists and Hosts files are an ancient 'static' method of dealing with these issues. the hostsfiles blocks ads too, i hate ads and the adblocking in the suites isnt customisable all the times. maybe opendns is better than the hostsfiles and restricted sites lists, but i dont know if it blocks ads.

bitman
2008-09-07, 06:17
I don't use the Spybot S&D Forum to recommend any specific suite, since I'm directly involved with Windows Live OneCare and that would be a conflict of interest. Each suite has it purpose, so what's really important is to understand what range of protection it's trying to accomplish.

I don't believe in ad blocking, since in most cases that's doing nothing to directly protect you and simply creates overhead. My purpose is strictly malware protection, not attempting to block completely legal functions. If I don't want to see ads, I don't go to the sites that provide them, I vote with the choice of sites I visit.

Bitman

blues
2008-09-07, 06:23
it is just that some of the moving ads are taking away the attention from the site content.

is it a point to have spywareblaster when using spybot immunize? or does they block basically the same?

drragostea
2008-09-07, 07:25
I understand... but I'm not really a fan of Windows Live Care either... :euro:

I wouldn't rely on security suite's "anti-spam" either.

DougCuk
2008-09-11, 13:34
Re the Coolwebsearch (1630) 5starvidios.com issue -Spybot Sandra just posted this response in another thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=233556&postcount=2

To summarise it says:
We have removed the domain because it is dead.
The domain is set to undo because it does not make any sense to block a dead domain.

PepiMK
2008-09-11, 13:47
And in addition to not making sense, growing lists can also be the cause of slowdown. The problems of evergrowing lists have been discussed a few times; the related feature request can be found here (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=141). 6 votes in favor of it, none against it.

blues
2008-09-11, 14:04
slowdowns can also be caused by the dns client service, it should have been an option in the spybot installation wizard to set it to manual or disabled. and maybe spybot could have a hostsfile server like hostsman has wich makes things even better, the ugly error messages that appears when something is blocked should be replaced with a white image or a message that says blocked, hostsman shows a message or a white image when something is blocked. the dns client are in most cases not needed http://forum.hosts-file.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=627

DougCuk
2008-09-13, 13:02
An update for SpywareBlaster has now fixed this clash with Spybot.
See this post by Javacool http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1316175&postcount=6