PDA

View Full Version : Why are CDilla & SideStep checked in Ignore Products?

Cumberland
2005-11-12, 15:10
CDilla (PUPS.sbi & Revision.sbi tabs) & SideStep (PUPS.sbi tab) are checked in Ignore Products. I didn't check them. If Spybot S&D 1.4 checks these automatically, why does it do this?

tashi
2005-11-12, 16:50
Hello Cumberland,

PUPS are "potentially unwanted programs (http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/pups/)", users choice. :)

See below: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=1551&postcount=5

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-12, 17:40
A little more on the subject.

Short answer:

If you would like to include these items in a scan:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore products > "All products" tab and uncheck the items.

Long answer:

When Spybot-S&D 1.4 was released the C:%path%\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Excludes\Bots file that controls product exclusions contained the following entries by default:
CDilla
New.Net
New.Net.QuickSearch
SideStep
As I understand the situation, the status of those products was under review at the time Spybot-S&D 1.4 was released. The products had been de-listed but some remained in the detection database pending farther review.

At that time if you went into the "Ignore products" list the following four (4) items were checked:
CDilla - PUPS
CDilla - Revision
New.Net - PUPS
SideStep - PUPS
You will note that New.Net.QuickSearch had already been removed as a detected product. Although it was in the file as an exclusion it did not appear as a checked item in the "Ignore products" list.

Subsequently, it appears that the detection for New.Net - PUPS has been replaced with a detection for NewDotNet - PUPS hereby negating the original New.Net default exclusion.

Cumberland
2005-11-13, 15:57
Spybot S&D recommends ignoring CDilla and SideStep. Why should we include them in a scan?

tashi
2005-11-15, 04:42
Hello.

CDilla and SideStep no longer met the criteria for inclusion as spyware etc and thus became PUPS. ;)

However some people do not wish to have these applications on their system and consider them undesirable.

Also people tend to click yes on installation of programs without reading the EULAS and then change their mind afterwards.

I can only suggest you Google information about the PUPS in question and make your own decision as to whether you wish to scan for them or not.

Hope that helps. :)

Cumberland
2005-11-15, 14:57
Thanks. Now I understand. I thought each tab on the Ignore Products page in Spybot S&D listed a different type of spyware. It would be helpful if the help page for Ignore Products in Spybot S&D could be annotated with yours and md usa spybot fan's replys.

owlscreech
2005-11-20, 17:15
A little further info Cumberland,

C-Dilla, cdilla and cdac11ba.exe are MacroVision’s SafeCast copy protection software to protect downloaded software from illegal copying.

Sidestep automatically compares prices side-by-side in travel sites and product comparisons.

They don't send our surfing info back to anyone, per the latest google search, so are mostly 'harmless' and not actually ad/spyware.

stacked_deck
2007-01-19, 11:21
so becuz it cant technically be considered ad/spyware. it's ignored? what if someone utilizes the fact that they are ignored and stores malicious things within them...or is that not possible?

Shahryar
2009-09-04, 05:28
CDilla (PUPS.sbi & Revision.sbi tabs) & SideStep (PUPS.sbi tab) are checked in Ignore Products. I didn't check them. If Spybot S&D 1.4 checks these automatically, why does it do this?

CDilla Question : Why It is there and does it related with yahoo messenger's login ?

drragostea
2009-09-09, 04:40
If you're asking again why CDilla is marked by default in the 'Ignore Products', the explanations are above. But again, it is because it is no longer considered "spyware/adware". I'm pretty sure Spybot-Search&Destroy (SaferNetworking) would have double-checked that and confirmed it before submitting it to the Ignore section.

I mean, as a PUP, it's not a big deal. I just feel that some of the information about CDilla around the web/forums are a bit exaggerated because one users suspicions and doubts add on, and then it's another circle of doubts (like do I trust this software). I don't use MacroVision, so I have Spybot-SD scan for CDilla regardless.