PDA

View Full Version : sata hdd connection

DavidBus
2008-09-07, 23:32
hello -

a while ago, i posted a question about spybot 1.6 and its apparent effect on screen resolution. i discovered that the tmm needed to be turned off, etc; however, there is a chance that the spybot 1.6 - inspired instability of the tmm might have been caused by a degeneration in the laptop's hardware. that degeneration culminated in the laptop's death about one month ago - one month after the expiration of the normal warranty. fortunately, the laptop IS included in an extended hp warranty program due to the fact that loads of laptops have failed in like manner. unfortunately, hp, when they service the laptop, strip clean the hard drive. that action forces me to transfer data from the dead laptop to another drive which means removing the hd and using some sort of adapter: therein lies the trick. the hd is a samsung hm120ji (laptop 2.5" 120 gb) with a "DROP-IN FEATURE"; that is, it has little BLADES like a laptop battery - NOT pins. i have NEITHER been able find any sata connectors that will fit this drive NOR anyone who will address the bloody bladed drive. i am specifically looking for a cable adapter that will connect such a 2.5" sata hd to a usb backward compatable 1.0 port. it should be able to handle windows xp and vista.

DougCuk
2008-09-11, 11:59
I suspect there is a close-fitting adaptor installed on top of the pins on this drive - as this is a standard Samsung SATA drive using the industry standard connector. I have seen this type of blade adaptor used on several laptops.

I suggest you take a magnifier and a fine blade and check if the blade connector is actually a separate unit sitting on top of the standard pins.