PDA

View Full Version : Automation & Passwords

wizzywick
2008-09-08, 00:33
When I run Spybot 1.6.0.30 under Scheduler on Win2K, it appears to delete all my logins and passwords, which is really annoying. Am I correct that Spybot is doing this? If so, is there a setting (I can't find one) anywhere that can control this?

2008-09-08, 03:46
Where did you download spybot from? :scratch:

Sorry but i have no idea what to tell you...maybe a team member will be better able to assist, but if you tell me where you downloaded it, i might be able to see if you downloaded a rouge version of spybot.....

wizzywick
2008-09-14, 18:27
Where did you download spybot from? :scratch:

Sorry but i have no idea what to tell you...maybe a team member will be better able to assist, but if you tell me where you downloaded it, i might be able to see if you downloaded a rouge version of spybot.....

I download directly from Safer-Networking

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-14, 19:05
wizzywick:

Under "File Sets" are you scanning for "Usage tracking" and do not have the cookies you want to keep setup in "Ignore Cookies" or are using the /onlyspyware so that cookies are not deleted.

wizzywick
2008-09-14, 23:05
wizzywick:

Under "File Sets" are you scanning for "Usage tracking" and do not have the cookies you want to keep setup in "Ignore Cookies" or are using the /onlyspyware so that cookies are not deleted.

I don't really understand the jargon here. For example, under "File Sets" there's a checkbox for "Usage tracking", but no "Ignore Cookies" flag. I can't find an "Ignore Cookies" flag anywhere, although I can find a page with cookies listed individually, each with a checkbox.

I'm checking each cookie I'd like to keep, but I don't know if that's what you mean. The documentation and help files are not very clear so there's lots of confusion. For example, I can't figure out what "Usage tracks" are. They're mentioned frequently, but nowhere does it explain what they are. As a result, there's no way to figure out if they should be checked or unchecked. Are they good, bad, or harmless?

I have no doubt the application works, but it's not clear what's going on or how to direct it if I'm not an expert.

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-15, 10:38
Wizzywick:

… For example, under "File Sets" there's a checkbox for "Usage tracking", …
Do you have "Usage tracking" checked? If so you have instructed Spybot to scan for usage tracks. From Spybot's Help facility:

Usage tracks Dictionary
Usage tracks are your fingerprints in your system. Whenever you visit a page with your browser, or just open any file, that information is stored deep inside Windows. In most cases that is very useful – if you want to open that file again, you can select it from a list instead of typing the whole filename or browsing the whole directory structure again.

But in some cases you may want to hide your activity, because spyware and internet attackers may use that information. Spybot - Search & Destroy can remove some of the most important and common tracks on your system.