PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6 updating error using Vista

nassau62
2008-09-08, 22:28
I keep getting an "Error retrieving update info file" message in Spybot 1.6, which never appeared in 1.5.

I'm running the following: Vista Home Premium, SpySweeper, & AVG. I get the same result with both SpySweeper & AVG closed.

There is no place that I know of in Vista to set program settings for the firewall.

"Use proxy to connect to update server" is unchecked.

I've uninstalled the program and reinstalled it, but that didn't cure my problem.

I get "Error retrieving update info file" message both whether I try a manual update or if updates are checked automatically when Spybot starts up.

What do I do?

drragostea
2008-09-09, 00:01
Are you receiving this error during the 'Update' process?
Have you chosen a mirror?

Can you do a complete uninstall and reinstall?

nassau62
2008-09-09, 00:08
Are you receiving this error during the 'Update' process? No,, when I run Spybot.

Have you chosen a mirror? No, Help says to turn off proxy. Where would I pick a mirror? I've never been given a choice.

Can you do a complete uninstall and reinstall? Been there done that; didn't help.

nassau62
2008-09-09, 02:20
Are you receiving this error during the 'Update' process? No,, when I run Spybot.

Have you chosen a mirror? No, Help says to turn off proxy. Where would I pick a mirror? I've never been given a choice.

Can you do a complete uninstall and reinstall? Been there done that; didn't help.

Clarification: The update process never runs thru, but hangs w/ the "Error retrieving update info file" message.