PDA

View Full Version : RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5

cheryl
2008-09-10, 18:13
Hi. This morning I downloaded Spybot 1.6; got into safe mode; uninstalled former Spybots; and then installed Spybot 1.6 (in regular mode, since it wouldn't install in safe mode). Everything went fine, except for two error messages. The exact text follows:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\sdfiles\command
RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\sdfiles
RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5

Does this mean Spybot isn't fully installed? If so, might I be partially unprotected? Can I or should I create registry keys -- and, if so, exactly what should I do? I have no idea how to create registry keys on my own. Thanks much for your help. cheryl

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-10, 20:44
cheryl:

Your post actually seems that it would have been more appropriately posted in the Spybot-S&D (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=4) sorum rather than the OpenSBI Discussion (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=50) forum.

The error "RegCreateKeyEx failed; code 5" indicates that you do not have the authority to create/modify those registry keys.

What version of Windows OS are you running?
Are you attempting to install Spybot using spybotsd160.exe?
Are you attempting to installation from a "Computer administrator account"?

cheryl
2008-09-10, 23:33
Thanks for your response. I'm running XPSP2, with all post-SP2 updates. I'm the administrator of the computer, and I'm able to make any other changes necessary. I've even edited the registry before, but only when reading specific instructions from a web site, or from someone responding in a forum.

Yes, I'm using spybotsd160.exe

What happened during the Spybot installation was a complete surprise to me. It's something that has never happened before.

Sorry if I put this post in the wrong place, and thanks again for your response. Cheryl

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-11, 09:16
cheryl:

Using regedit navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell. Right click on the Shell key and select permissions. See if the username that you are installing with has full permissions on that key.

cheryl
2008-09-11, 18:57
Thanks again for your response. I did as directed, and found nothing selected under "Permissions" at the Shell key. I checked a few other keys, and they all had "Full Control" selected -- so, I selected that; "Read" selected automatically, and I assume you've given me the solution to my problem. I'll try installing Spybot again, and let you know what happens. (Until your reply, I hadn't even noticed "Permissions" under the registry keys. Oh, well...) Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens. Cheryl

cheryl
2008-09-11, 19:32
Yup. That was the problem. Thank-you, thank-you. This is why I love forums: Somebody always comes to my rescue. Cheryl

selena12321
2008-09-12, 08:47
thanks for help dear.