PDA

View Full Version : How to Scan an External Drive?

mike s.
2008-09-10, 19:06
I'd like S&D to scan an external drive, but don't see any way to. I have S&D 1.6.0.30
Thanks for any help!

2008-09-10, 19:25
really the only way for now, is to right click the drive and click scan with spybot S&D

drragostea
2008-09-11, 01:00
I couldn't find the old thread... but here's a general idea.

Spybot-Search&Destroy's right-click scanning function was not meant to scan whole drives. It is meant to scan single files. Scanning a whole drive (worth of several GBs) will take... Hm... A week (non-stop)?

I can tell you it would be worth it to scan a whole drive with another anti-spyware application. I do not mean, do not use Spybot (program) but it's right-click (Windows Explorer) scanning function (for a whole drive).

2008-09-11, 05:27
I couldn't find the old thread... but here's a general idea.

Spybot-Search&Destroy's right-click scanning function was not meant to scan whole drives. It is meant to scan single files. Scanning a whole drive (worth of several GBs) will take... Hm... A week (non-stop)?

I can tell you it would be worth it to scan a whole drive with another anti-spyware application. I do not mean, do not use Spybot (program) but it's right-click (Windows Explorer) scanning function (for a whole drive).

That is true, drragostea is correct. :) mike s. just asked how to do it in spybot, so i said the best way haha. But another antispyware scanner should be able to scan it. I should have mentioned that... :oops:

bitman
2008-09-11, 07:19
An Anti-Virus that includes detections for spyware would probably be quicker and more effective, since it can scan for a range of malware all at the same time. Online scanners like the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner and s few others can do this and perform other duties like cleaning temporary files, etc.

The other benefit of this is that you are using a different [free] scanner, so you have a chance of detecting something that Spybot S&D or your installed AntiVirus might not.

Spybot S&D is an excellent Spyware scanner when looking for installed malware, since it effectively searches for the links in the registry and other locations that lead to the malware. Howevr, it isn't really effective as a file scanner, since that's what AntiVirus is for.

Bitman

bitman
2008-09-11, 07:30
An Anti-Virus that includes detections for spyware would probably be quicker and more effective, since it can scan for a range of malware all at the same time. Online scanners like the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner and s few others can do this and perform other duties like cleaning temporary files, etc.

The other benefit of this is that you are using a different [free] scanner, so you have a chance of detecting something that Spybot S&D or your installed AntiVirus might not.

Spybot S&D is an excellent Anti-Spyware scanner when looking for installed malware, since it effectively searches for the links in the registry and other locations that lead to the malware. Howevr, it isn't really effective as a file scanner, since that's what AntiVirus is for.

Bitman