PDA

View Full Version : New S&D user

SHAKEYGUY
2008-09-11, 22:41
I usually just go with letting Spybot clear problems then exit but this time I got curious and reviewed log. This brought up two questions:
1. The run cleared 8 cookies and listed no others but later when I checked cooklies in directory I find I still have dozens. Why was I not presented option to remove them?

2. It showed this entry for malware. Why did it not delete it? Should I be concerned?

{56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} ()
DPF name:
CLSID name:
Installer:
Codebase: http://software-dl.real.com/31d01082d750bc0fe903/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
description: Netster
classification: Confirmed as malware
known filename:
info link:
info source:

Thanks in advance, hope to understand this good program.
SHAKEYGUY AKA Mel

ME_2&
2008-09-12, 20:54
'Cookies' are almost a subject unto itself, no matter your OS or browser. They come in a variety of flavors and most may be unceremoniously 'dumped' via browser controls or simply by closing your browser if they are 'session' cookies. Take a look in your browser's Options or suchlike and set cookie-handling according to your desires. It's my own personal policy to never allow cookies in the first place unless they are required for a service (such as login to a website for interaction privileges), but your needs may differ. 'Persistent' cookies with login info are another variety (such as for banks or business use), those are up to you in how you deal with them - if you destroy them you may need to re-fill forms, provide certificates of ID, etc. Still others are 'Third Party', usually advertisers that wish to target your browsing habits to serve you ads in fields related or simply to gather info. If you use other services like audio or video players, these may also set cookies of another sort (the infamous 'flash' cookies). Mostly SSD can deal with tracking cookies and other usage tracks via the optional Settings/File Sets, check the Usage Tracking boxes - you can even do a quick scan of UT by unchecking the major SSD fileset (it'll still do a nominal 'short' malware check) .. but be careful what you check in the usage tracks that are revealed in such a scan, some 'convenience' items are there (such as I like to keep window size and position constants). And don't forget to REcheck the major SSD fileset after your 'short' UT scan!

Perhaps as a last note on cookies, Microsoft Internet Explorer keeps an index.dat which rebuilds afresh even if you 'delete' it - which brings to mind another good method of clearing IE cookies and major browsers' 'cache' if you like to reload - use the SSD shredder mini-app/Templates :)

Hope that helps some and maybe more expert help as to your particular will be along soon ..