PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install S&D

mjhaines
2008-09-15, 14:29
I would be extremely grateful if anybody is able to help. I apologise if this is covered in the FAQ section at all, but I have had a look through and cannot immediately find any reference to this problem.

Recently I have noticed errors occurring whenever I ran the Search And Destroy programme (which I usually do weekly, along with Ad-Aware and Norton Antivirus full system scan). The Spybot scan would be paused whilst an error message appeared in a box; I would click OK and then the scan would continue.

I thought little of this until recently it reached the point where I was not only experiencing up to twenty interruptions per scan, the scans themselves no longer seemed to find or identify any threats. I presumed that a sensible thing to do would be to uninstall the (1.4) version of Spybot which I had, and to reinstall the latest version.

I used the “Uninstall” option in the Spybot folder, then after rebooting deleted all other Spybot files and folders (including the hidden files in the Application Data” folder). I rebooted again, and downloaded the 1.6 version.

However, it now seems that I cannot install this. Every time I try, I get as far as selecting the language, and then the box prompting to begin installation is covered by another box which says “Access violation at address 00B39DDF. Write of address 00210000” and then the program shuts down. I use Windows XP, and have plenty of space in the memory.

Incidentally, after suspecting that this might be a registry problem I attempted to download a registry checking/fixing program, but it seems that I cannot install this either.

Is anybody please able to advise?