PDA

View Full Version : Processes to close before start with MS-XP update

Pierpi
2008-09-22, 10:09
Dear all,

I have to update my Windows XP Home with SP3.
I tried but with an error code (0x8024400D) that could be related to a registry "protected" by SpyBot.
Since I have to retry without antivirus, firewall etc, my question is:
which are the processes related to SpyBot that can I kill before the update to SP3 in order to be shure that Spy Bot is completely turned off?

My current version is 1.6.0.

Thanks.
Pierpi

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-22, 12:58
Pierpi:

There are two active protections associated with Spybot. The SDHelper (which is a Browser Helper Object (BHO)) and TeaTimer. To disable these features, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
Uncheck both, then exit Spybot. To make sure that SDHelper is no longer active, either:
Reboot the system.
--- or ---
Exit all Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer sessions.
________

After the installation, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident and check the following: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.

TheJedi
2008-09-28, 04:19
Interesting. I originally came here looking for a solution to my Spybot not being able to update itself. The manual link is apparently dead, btw, unless this workaround somehow would affect that, which I doubt. While looking around, I came upon this and, since my Windows Update had stopped in the middle after re-installing Spybot, wondered whether it could have something to do with the Spybot update, as well.

Sure enough, I did as you suggested here, re-booted my machine, and after that Spybot was able to perform its updates.

Is it possible that your software is keeping ITSELF from updating, as well? I noticed there was a TeaTimer update in there; is this issue addressed in that update, by any chance?

I'm going to leave TeaTimer and SDHelper disabled until I get a response of some sort.

Thanks for your time, guys.

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-28, 06:30
TheJedi

... The manual link is apparently dead, btw, unless this workaround somehow would affect that, which I doubt. ...
The manual update link is working fine.

... Is it possible that your software is keeping ITSELF from updating, as well? ...
Possible but highly improbable since you are the only one to have reported such a incident. Most likely rebooting the system solved the problem that you were having with both the integrated updates and the manual updates and not the fact that you disable the real time protections.

TheJedi
2008-10-02, 05:14
Cool. I will go ahead and re-enable the real-time protections, then. I like that extra level of security. Thanks.