PDA

View Full Version : "Disk read error occurred" after unchecking TeaTimer from Startup

tjb1505
2008-09-23, 09:56
I wonder if anyone can help me. I tried to disable Spybot (not sure of the version) by 1st removing from system tray (Exit option) and then typing "msconfig" in Run and then choosing Startup and unchecking Teatimer and pressing Apply. Then restarted my PC. Now all I get is a black screen with "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." Every time I do that, it comes right back to the same message.

I have been trying to start PC for 2 hours now. F8 never brings up the words "safe mode", so I'm guessing I'll have to use my WIndows XP Pro CD and run the Recovery Console from the CD.

If I am successful in that, what's the first thing I should do? Put that check back in the box and activate teatimer? If so, how do I get there?

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-23, 10:42
tjb1505:

I doubt that disabling TeaTimer is/was the cause of the disk read error.

If you are able to get into the system, I suggest you try running CHKDSK on your drive to make sure there are no file system errors that may be causing the problem. Please note that the following instructions may be somewhat different when running under the Recovery Console.

Open a command prompt. Click Start then select Run… Type "command" or "cmd" (no quotes). Click "OK" Type "chkdsk x: /r" (type the command with no quotes and substituting the drive letter of the drive you want to scan for the "x:"). Note: Option /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
If the following message appears while trying to do a CHKDSK on your primary drive:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N) Type "Y" (no quotes). Type "EXIT" (no quotes). Reboot your system. If you did not get the message indicating that a reboot was required (3. above), type "EXIT" (no quotes) when Chkdsk completes. Note: CHKDSK may run for quite a while so just be patient.For more information on CHKDSK see:
Chkdsk
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx