PDA

View Full Version : Firefox not detected?

sfdxsm
2008-09-23, 19:40
Spybot 1.6 does not seem to be detecting Firefox. I recently formatted my system and reinstalled Firefox using MozBackup which restores all of a profile's settings and extensions. I then installed Spybot and it does not show Firefox Immunization. This isn't the first time I've used MozBackup; just the first with an issue with Spybot not detecting Firefox.

Firefox 3, Vista SP1 32bit, Spybot 1.6

Zenobia
2008-09-24, 07:07
Could you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles,and then open the folder in there?It should have different numbers and letters in it,somewhat like this,for example:
4i3meo2p.default
Once that folder is opened,can you tell me if there is a hostperm.1 file in there?

sfdxsm
2008-09-24, 07:57
There is no file by that name located in the Mozilla profile folder. I find this odd because MozBackup literally makes a script that rebuilds the entire Firefox folder that would be in the AppData/Roaming folder. I am assuming hostperm is some type of file used by Spybot. There are even references to this file in the hex data for the profile backup file. Strange.

So, do I create a new hostperm manually? Does the file need to contain any data?

sfdxsm
2008-09-25, 06:19
bump....

Zenobia
2008-09-25, 20:51
Please don't bump.

No,there shouldn't be a hostperm.1 file,where you have Firefox 3.
I've never used MozBackup,so I'm not familiar with it.
Is there a permissions.sqlite file in the same place where you looked for the hostperm.1 file?

sfdxsm
2008-09-27, 19:12
Yes, there is.

Zenobia
2008-09-28, 12:30
Is it 0 Bytes?

sfdxsm
2008-09-29, 06:12
No, actually it is 1.12mb. I opened it in Notepad and it looks like a listing of blocked websites?

Zenobia
2008-09-30, 11:27
Could you copy and paste some of those listings of blocked sites here?Just from the top down 50 or so lines?I should be able to recognize if Spybot put them there.

Also,could you open Firefox,click Tools,then Options...,then Content.Beside where it says Block Popup Windows,click exceptions.Is there a large amount of blocked popups in there?Is the first one 007guard.com?

sfdxsm
2008-10-01, 08:25
I took another (closer) look at the permissions file and it's actually a garbled SQL listing of my cookie permissions.

There are no blocked popup windows listed in Firefox. So it's starting to look like Firefox isn't being detected at all by Spybot.

I did recently try a completely fresh install of Firefox and Spybot (down to deleting ALL profiles and folder associated with Firefox in AppData) and still no luck.

Zenobia
2008-10-01, 10:01
Spybot 1.6 does not seem to be detecting Firefox. I recently formatted my system and reinstalled Firefox using MozBackup which restores all of a profile's settings and extensions.

Did you have Firefox 3 before you reinstalled windows Vista?

sfdxsm
2008-10-01, 17:03
yes i did.

Zenobia
2008-10-02, 05:35
Okay.
Deleting my permissions.sqlite file caused Spybot not to be able to immunize Firefox,though Firefox was recognized.
And I'm also not sure that this has to do with permissions.sqlite,since Firefox is not recognized.
I'm also unsure what part,if any,Mozbackup has to do with all this.
:l

So....not to delay,but could you go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox and open profiles.ini.Please copy and paste what is written in it here.

sfdxsm
2008-10-02, 23:53
I don't think Mozbackup had anything to do with it either only because I've used it before and tried getting Spybot to detect Firefox without using it.

Data from my profile.ini:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/vszre17v.default

How does Spybot detect Firefox? Scanning the program files folder or registry or other?

Zenobia
2008-10-04, 21:04
Your profiles.ini looks normal.

How does Spybot detect Firefox? Scanning the program files folder or registry or other?
I found this,please have a look at post number 4,I think it still applies:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=168353&postcount=4
From this thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24853

Is there a prefs.js file at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\vszre17v.default?

sfdxsm
2008-10-06, 03:10
Yes there is.

Zenobia
2008-10-06, 22:58
Okay,I'm stumped.I can't figure why Spybot can't detect Firefox for immunization.

Firefox is installed to the default location?I.E.,the Mozilla Firefox is located at C:\Program Files?And the Firefox folder is located here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\?

sfdxsm
2008-10-07, 05:03
Yup, installed in the proper location. Very odd indeed.

Zenobia
2008-10-07, 07:27
Do you only have the one profile for Firefox?

sfdxsm
2008-10-07, 08:17
Yep, only one.

Zenobia
2008-10-09, 01:55
It may be garbled,but could you please copy and paste all or part of your permissions.sqlite file here,please.
Do you have anything else besides Spybot that would block certain cookies in Firefox?

sfdxsm
2008-10-10, 08:58
Not that I can think of. When I first got the system running again I was using AVG Free antivirus and Comodo firewall. I've since switched to SOPHOS antivirus and firewall. But neither have active protection that would integrate itself like Spybot does.

My permissions file contains some sensitive information for some sites so I cannot post it. I can however, assure you it only lists cookie information for sites I have visited and either allowed or denied manually during my browsing. I don't see any additions from Spybot.

I did try to post some portions of the permissions file but it simply doesn't post. Unsure if this is a feature of the board that prevents oddities in characters (to block certain security issues) or something.

Zenobia
2008-10-10, 23:25
Okay,then.
I don't really want you to backup and delete the permissions.sqlite file then,in case something goes wrong.And it probably would not help anyways,since Firefox is not detected by Spybot.

You could try uninstalling/reinstalling Spybot if you wanted too,but that is not in any way guaranteed to work.
http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html