PDA

View Full Version : Unknown, unremovable temporary files

drlauber
2008-09-24, 23:50
For the last week or so, everytime that I call up Spybot to run a spyware check, up pops a little window saying that I have over 1145 temporary files and would I like Spybot to remove them before beginning the scan. I answer yes, Spybot attempts to clear them, but can not do so.

My computer and Spybot are working fine but I don't know what these temporary files are. I routinely remove cookies, temporary internet files, etc., but none of that does any good.

Anybody know what these files are and how I can remove them?

Blade81
2008-09-26, 18:01
Hi

It's a bit difficult to say without seeing filenames :) You could try ATF Cleaner though. Instructions below.

Download ATF (Atribune Temp File) Cleaner© by Atribune (http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1) to your desktop.

Double-click ATF Cleaner.exe to open it

Under Main choose:
Windows Temp
Current User Temp
All Users Temp
Cookies
Temporary Internet Files
Prefetch
Java Cache
*The other boxes are optional*
Then click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox:
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

If you use Opera:
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Blade81
2008-10-03, 22:18
Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

Note:If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send me or MOD a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.