PDA

View Full Version : compatability

boonella
2008-09-27, 23:49
My antivirus program is the latest version of AVG free. It also has anti spy/adware though none has ever been detected on regular scans. When I run a Spybot check all sorts of threats show up. Why?
Also is it safe to have both installed on my computer? Do I need Spybot if I have an antivirus/antimaleware program like AVG free? thanks, boonella

2008-09-28, 03:36
Question 1.) Different programs catch different things, not one program is a "silver bullet". Therefore, spybot will find things that avg will miss. And vice versa. Avg free scans for viruses however, spybot scans for spyware. They are 2 entirely different types of threats, so spyware will not be detected by an anti-virus, and a virus will not be detected by a spyware program. Of course, some programs are an "all in one solution" that will scan for viruses and spyware and everything else. But again no program in a silver bullet.

It won't catch everything. :)

Rule of thumb is, 1 firewall, 1 anti-virus, and many different anti-spyware programs can be installed.

Question 2.) Yes you are perfectly fine running avg free alongside spybot. :)

I hope i answered your questions, feel free to ask more!! :)

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-28, 07:21
129260:

... Avg free scans for viruses however, spybot scans for spyware. They are 2 entirely different types of threats, so spyware will not be detected by an anti-virus, and a virus will not be detected by a spyware program. ...
I believe AVG 8.0 Free is a combination anti-virus and anti-spyware.

ght1
2008-09-28, 10:28
The reason: Spybot detects tracking cookies! I also use AVG & Spybot, it works great! :cowboy:

2008-09-28, 20:44
129260:

I believe AVG 8.0 Free is a combination anti-virus and anti-spyware.

ah i did not know this, I thought the free version was still only scan for viruses, i guessed they changed that. thanks spybot fan! :)