PDA

View Full Version : Chkdsk and Safe Mode

luismr
2008-09-28, 03:22
After installing lates version of Spybot S&D in a systen running XP Pro Home Edition The following has developed:

1. Anytime I restart the computer chkdsk starts running, I have a 40G of programs and data in my HDD, it takes a good hour to finish unles I stopped manually. How can I fix this?

2. I can not reboot in safe mode anymore. After I reboot the computer and choose: F8, safe mode the system hangs, never brings Windows on. How can I fix this?

Thanks and regards - Luis

2008-09-28, 03:27
that is very odd! I hope we can help you solve this problem.

1.) Can you please tell us if you changed anything with your system, settings, etc. after installing the latest version of spybot? Did you uninstall spybot and then install the latest version, or did you simply install the latest version over the old version?

2.) If i understand this correctly, these 2 issues happened immediately after you installed the latest version of spybot?

3.) Where did you download spybot from? This site?

4.) Did the scandisk (chkdsk) find any errors on the hard drive when you let it run?

Thanks for any info you can provide. :)

luismr
2008-09-28, 03:56
that is very odd! I hope we can help you solve this problem.

1.) Can you please tell us if you changed anything with your system, settings, etc. after installing the latest version of spybot? Did you uninstall spybot and then install the latest version, or did you simply install the latest version over the old version?

Answer: 1. I simply installed the latest version over the old version

2.) If i understand this correctly, these 2 issues happened immediately after you installed the latest version of spybot?

Answer: 2. I noticed a few days later after I installed the latest version of spybot and rebooted my system ( normally I leave my system on ).

3.) Where did you download spybot from? This site?

Answer: 3. I do not remember, I downloaded from one of the sites in the list.

4.) Did the scandisk (chkdsk) find any errors on the hard drive when you let it run?

Answer 4. The first time it ran it found and fixed some errors. Subsequent chkdsk did not find anything.

Thanks for any info you can provide. :

2008-09-28, 04:05
open my computer. Right click your main hard disk, (usually called C), and go to properties-tools. under error checking click check now. checkmark both boxes and click start. Wait a bit, then click yes. Restart your system. Let scandisk run, and let us know if it detects any more errors. Then let your system start up, log in and then later restart once more again, does scandisk start on that 2nd reboot again?

Also, try completely uninstalling spybot following all directions found here:

http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

(only use the Internet explorer browser to open this page.)

After doing all that, Restart and then try downloading and installing the latest spybot version here: http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

(choose any one of the download here buttons.)

Then Restart. do you still experience these issues?

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-28, 06:07
Luismr:

Are you running TeaTimer? One cause of the problem could be that you are denying the BootExecute registry change to eliminate the scheduled CHKDSK.

Following these instructions and allow the registry change when you receive it:
How do I keep CHKDSK from running on every start up - Ask Leo!
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_keep_chkdsk_from_running_on_every_start_up.html

morrow2001
2009-01-14, 01:49
Ok... here's what happened prior to my machine running check disk at every start up.

Analyzed defrag, says, yes, defrag. Have been told to always run check disk prior to defrag, so set check disk to run next time I start the computer. Spybot popped up with "do you want to allow this" and I said yes. Thinking back, it might have said "do you want to allow this change to the registry" but I don't remember. I do know I wanted to run check disk and didn't want some program denying it. I did not check "remember this setting".

So ran check disk, it's happy, ran defrag, that's happy. But now it's running check disk on every restart/startup. I looked at regedit per last post, it has BOTH ...commands??... in there as follows:

autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
autocheck autochk *

Should I just delete the first line? And/or do I need to uninstall / reinstall spybot since that's what made the change to begin with?

Thanks

Lisa

Windows XP Pro - SP3, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz 2.99 GHz 1 gig RAM