PDA

View Full Version : update

jessmist
2008-09-29, 16:08
Hi i am running version 1.5.2 at the moment but when i try to update to the latest version 1.6.0 my computer can not find the settings for other user on my computer.
I have to do a system restore to be able to find the other user documents and settings etc.
I have tried uninstalling version 1.5.2 but all i get is an error message.
Hope someone can help me with this problem ?

Thanks

spybotsandra
2008-09-29, 16:12
Hello,

Which error message do you get exactly?

Please uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy according to the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
Then make a fresh install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.
You will find links to several download locations on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jessmist
2008-09-29, 17:32
This is the message i get

File"c:\programfiles\spybot-search&destory\unins000.dat"does not exist cannot uninstall

drragostea
2008-09-30, 01:06
You will find links to several download locations on our website:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

You can resolve the error by installing the latest version over the current version.

jessmist
2008-09-30, 16:08
I have tried installing the latest version over the old one but i still come across the same problem, my computer will not find the settings for the other users and the only way i can get them back is to do a system restore.

Thanks

spybotsandra
2008-10-01, 10:35
Hello,

In order to completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy, please consider the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Spybot - Search & Destroy will uninstall from the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel without problems.

If you want to completely get rid of Spybot-S&D and the Add/Remove doesn't help, you can delete the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\), then download the very small fix from the faq site and execute it (important! - this will remove all remains from the registry) (this also applies to earlier versions).

If you just want to upgrade to a newer version, please follow the same instructions like above and then install the new version.

After following these instructions please restart your system so that the changes can take place.

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:

* Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
* Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
* Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
* Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jessmist
2008-10-02, 19:10
In add remove programs there is two spybot programs.

1, spybot search & destroy
if i try and uninstall this one i get the following error message:
messages file "C:\Program Files\spybot - search and destroy\unis001-msg" is missing please correct the problem or obtain a new copy of the program

2. spybot search and destroy1.5.2.20
if i try and uninstall this one i get the following error message:
File"C:\windows\unis000.dat" does not exist, cannot uninstall

if i try and remove spybot search and destroy folder from my c drive i get the following error:
Cannot delete SDhelper.dll: Access is denied make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

bitman
2008-10-02, 19:18
jessmist,

What exact version of the Windows operating system are you running on that PC?

If you're not sure, right-click either 'My Computer' or 'Computer' in the Start menu or on the desktop and select 'Properties'. Type everything listed under 'System:' on the General tab.

Bitman

jessmist
2008-10-02, 20:32
windows xp
home edition
version 2002
sevice pack 2

bitman
2008-10-02, 21:41
Thanks for that information, I thought I might have detected a common thread with the removal difficulties, but it doesn't appear so from your response.

In any case, your primary issue is that you need to run this very small fix (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg) and after you've done that you should be able to remove all remaining files from the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\" folders.

Make certain your browser is closed when running the above fix, since the file that remains is Spybot's SDHelper, or browser helper object.

Bitman

jessmist
2008-10-04, 17:13
I have tried the small fix but it still will not allow me to uninstall spybot i still keep getting the same error messages

Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-04, 17:26
jessmist:

re: The error message "Cannot delete SDhelper.dll: Access is denied make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use".

The error is because Spybot's "SDhelper" BHO was not disabled prior attempting to uninstall and will be in use if either Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer are running.

Can you still get into Spybot? If so:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident.
Uncheck the following: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active..
Reboot your system.