PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer mistake

nigre
2008-09-30, 23:14
My girlfriend recently ran spybot on her laptop and wasnt sure what the teatimer was and continued to click on Allow registry change. Now on the computer we're unable to run any .exe files. When I try to open spybot to do a recovery it asks which program I would like to open spybot with. Plus anything on the computer like the system restore it says "Application not found" Is there a way we can reverse all this?

2008-10-01, 04:24
teatimer and go to settings....you can reverse any changes she made in the decision. However, i do not think that allowing would cause all that, (as it sounds like a malware infection) but try it.

While in the settings, click the black x to remove the entry from being done. You will be asked about everything again if theres nothing stored in the settings.

Worse case scenario, boot into safe mode and do a simple system restore before she did the changes if this doesn't work... I know you said you tried it in normal mode but safe mode might make it work. Also scan for infections with your anti-virus and other anti-spyware tools you may have.

Also can you give more info? Can you please tell us your windows version, and what spybot version you are running? If you are able to get spybot to open, click help-about. Again, try safe mode to open spybot and maybe do a scan... Try going into c:/program files/spybot s&d and double click sdmain.exe if it will not launch.

Thanks! let us know how it goes. :)

nigre
2008-10-01, 06:07
I'm sorry, I did try in Safe Mode as well and it doesnt work either. She originally was running SpyBot in Safe Mode when the problem happened. I cant open Spybot or any other anti-virus programs. Everything asks which which program I would like to open the .exe with.

The laptop is running on WinXP Pro and Spybot version 1.0.0.6

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-01, 14:50
nigre:

What Window Operating System are you running?

2008-10-01, 15:30
nigre:

What Window Operating System are you running?

He is running XP...Well, I am fresh out of ideas....i have no clue as to how teatimer would have caused this problem... To me, honestly, it seems like a bad malware infection, but i am not sure. I am going to leave this thread up to the team members as i have run out of ideas...sorry. I hope i was some sort of help. :)

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-01, 16:14
nigre:

It sounds like your problem may be a file association problem with .exe files.

If you are running Windows XP, the following Web page has fixes for problems with file associations:
Windows® XP File Association Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
The fix for EXE files is:
EXE File Association Fix (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip) (Restore default association for EXE files)

NOTE: If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.
Thanks to Nigel Andrews for this tip.

nigre
2008-10-02, 09:19
129260: thanks so much for taking time to help me out.

md usa spybot fan: the fix for the .exe files worked. thanks so much!!

2008-10-02, 14:41
129260: thanks so much for taking time to help me out.

md usa spybot fan: the fix for the .exe files worked. thanks so much!!

I'm glad everything is sorted out! :) Have a great day.