PDA

View Full Version : Overzealous

Ilovetoskifast
2006-04-04, 17:44
While trying to install Spybot, I was alerted by Windows that some program was trying to access another program on the internet. Windows recommended that I allow this to happen, but after I googled the name of the program which was trying to access the internet, and found nothing on that program, I decided not to allow the connection to occur. Of course, what I had disallowed was some vital step in Spybot's installation.

Now I can't find how to allow this connection to proceed, nor can I figure out what the program I am referring to is/was called, nor can I get Spybot to install. I am stuck at the point where it says 'setup is now downloading additional files to your computer', and 'file: updallocator.php (1 of 1)', and 'status: resolving www.safer-networking.org'. There is an additional window on top of all that which says 'error sending request. The server name or address could not be resolved.'

If someone could tell me what I've done wrong I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

md usa spybot fan
2006-04-04, 18:19
During the installation process (Step 5 I believe) it asks if you want to "Search for updates". The update process starts by downloading the following file:
http://www.safer-networking.org/updates/spybotsd.ini
If you denied access to www.safer-networking.org (normally via SpybotSD.exe) the spybotsd.ini file will not be downloaded to continue the update process.

If you can bypass that step and continue, once Spybot is install you can update by going into Spybot > Update > "Search for updates" and get the same update that would have been installed during the installation process.

If you can not bypass that step, the only suggestion I have is to just terminate the installation and start over.

Ilovetoskifast
2006-04-04, 19:58
Yeah, I guess that wasn't hard to figure out. I'm Sofa King... Thanks for your help.