PDA

View Full Version : detecting Actual Spy

bilsch
2008-10-02, 02:55
Hello.

I just visited the website of Actual Spy which is a company that makes a keylogger called Actual Spy. The website says Actual Spy can't be detected by antivirus and spyware programs. Yikes ! Is that true ?

Also it says you can get infected with Actual Spy from an email. Yikes again !

I downloaded something called SpyHunter Scanner to detect Actual Spy. I didn't run it yet.

I tried searching this forum for Actual Spy but the search gets everything with the word 'actual'.

Please tell me what you know about Actual Spy - and others that can't be detected by ordinary antispy and antivirus programs. Please give link to articles and posts that discuss such.

Thank you very much.

drragostea
2008-10-02, 03:05
Here's a small summary about the site itself by McAfee SiteAdvisor:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/actualspy.com?ref=safesearch&client_ver=FF_26.6_6275&locale=en-US&premium=false&aff_id=0
-
bilsch, what I can tell you is that any keylogger of any kind (in my perspective) is always not good. It's just a software or game you download from the Internet. You do not know what the true content is and what may be bundled along with it.

I'm not sure which anti-virus/spyware programs detect "AcutalSpy" but I can tell you that Spybot-Search&Destroy does detect ActualSpy.

A keylogger to me, won't be used for any good reasons (very rare cases). It is used for harm.
-
Yes, it is possible to get a keylogger or trojan from a attachment in a e-mail, but I can't be specific about which one. It is incalculable.
FYI:
http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=Actual%20Spy&threatid=14895

bilsch
2008-10-02, 05:04
Hello.

Thanks for the info. Please don't misunderstand. I don't want to use a keylogger, I want to make sure I don't have one on a computer.

drragostea
2008-10-02, 05:20
I'm not misunderstanding. I understand what you mean.
Just in case, you might want to scan with Spybot-Search&Destroy after all, to make sure you don't have it on the computer. : )

Btw, :welcome: to SaferNetworking Forums.

bilsch
2008-10-02, 08:20
I run SpyBot SD and AVG Free almost every day.

I downloaded another removal tool from SpyHunter to remove something called Zlob. Just for the heck of it. The install for the thing was rather involved. I guess it was itself some kind of infection - SpyBot refused to let the install complete. I had made a restore point beforehand - and restored the system. Then I ran SpyBot and it found more SpyHunter files on the PC. Now I think I'm clean. I ran SpyBot again and it found nothing.

drragostea
2008-10-03, 01:46
SpyHunter used to be deemed as a "rogue product", but I checked again on SpywareWarrior's Rogue list and SpyHunter came out as a "dead" product.

Was SpyHunter successful in removing Zlob?
-
bilsch, it is your machine. To be honest, I could care less, but I'm just suggesting this: There is no need to run a anti-virus scan everyday. I mean Spybot scans sound alright, but long-memory intensive anti-virus scans with seriously... put a strain on your hard drive.

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.
Edit: Here's a thread about Enigma's SpyHunter:
-

bilsch
2008-10-04, 09:47
Yes. SpyBot apparently got rid of the Zlob thing.

Thanks for your info.

drragostea
2008-10-05, 04:20
Yes. SpyBot apparently got rid of the Zlob thing.

SpyHunter used to be deemed as a "rogue product", but I checked again on SpywareWarrior's Rogue list and SpyHunter came out as a "dead" product.

Was SpyHunter successful in removing Zlob?

You're welcome. This will sound confusing, because you are confusing SpyHunter and Spybot-Search&Destroy.