PDA

View Full Version : No search results for two months

sailfish11
2008-10-02, 20:12
Hi,

For about two months, Spybot has been telling me I have no problems. This seems highly unlikely. I also have tried Spyware Dr and AdAware -- each of them finds many problems the first time I run them, then nothing, even weeks later.

Although I guess I should be happy that my system has remained remarkably clean all this time -- my suspicious side thinks something is wrong....

Any help?

Mark

sfdxsm
2008-10-02, 23:51
Why would you assume this is a bad thing? Unless you are visiting shady websites and downloading shady programs, I see no reason for worries. If spyboty/virus scanner/other security software actually finds something on my system, I'm usually pretty shocked. Haven't had a virus in years.

drragostea
2008-10-03, 01:29
Why would you assume this is a bad thing? Unless you are visiting shady websites and downloading shady programs, I see no reason for worries.
I will have to agree on that one. However, there was one description posted by spybotsandra which explained why the latest version of Spybot is detecting "less" entries now (I'll summarize it).

What you saw in Spybot's results after a scan were "tracking cookies". In later versions, tracking cookies such as Doubleclick (and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc.) are deemed "good", so they are detected as harmful.

Basically, Spybot is not detecting these because they are deemed good.

FYI, if you have not checked Spybot to scan for 'User Trackage' in the File Sets (Advanced Mode), you can do that.

DougCuk
2008-10-03, 03:39
The main thing to check is that Spybot is actually looking for the full complement of threats.

When you run a scan you should see the wording "Running bot-check" at the bottom left of the Spybot window - this is followed by two numbers - the second number is the total number of items Spybot is hunting for - the current total should be 288329. If the figure is very much lower something is wrong - some of the database files are not being used.

The other check is in the immunisation screen - there are 4 types of objects which are displayed multiple times for different accounts - but the numbers should be as follows:
9234 Domains
895 Plugins
193 Cookies
36 IP's

Again if the numbers are significantly lower something is not working right. If Spybot is seeing all its databases and displaying the correct number of objects and is scanning the whole range - then everything looks like it is working. You are just not getting any significant intrusions - which is the purpose of the immunisations. Or maybe you are just not visiting enough nasty websites?

sailfish11
2008-10-03, 06:15
Thanks for the suggestions, but still no results.

It appears that Spybot is checking the right number of domains, etc. And the bot check seems to be working properly --- except for not finding anything! :sad:

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-03, 06:27
sailfish11:

What are you expecting to find?

If you would to see if Spybot picks up tracking cookies, there is a test in this post (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=237138&highlight=attached#post237138) that I made up a week ago.

sailfish11
2008-10-03, 18:02
I understand the whole 'no news is good news' concept. And if that's all this is then great. The reason I'm suspicious is because I'm in the habit of running Spybot about once a week. In the past, I ALWAYS found several problems that needed fixing. My surfing habits haven't changed, and all of a sudden about a month ago, nothing is found again. It seems strange, that's all.

I'm not trying to see problems where there aren't any. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem -- maybe some sort of virus or spyware that gets into your system and makes Spybot 'blind'.

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-03, 20:35
sailfish11:

Many people have expressed the concern that Spybot is no longer detecting anything. In most cases it is because the improvement in the immunization facility prevents the exposure to the problems they were getting.

If you do not believe Spybot is working at all, please perform the test I suggested for tracking cookies.

Aside form tracking cookies, if you believe Spybot is not detecting other malware, please be specific in exactly what. Since you are trying to relate current scans with older scans, it may be helpful if you posted one of the results from an older scan where you were detecting the problems that you do not seem to be detecting now.

By default here are two Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log files produced during a scan. The second Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log has the details of what the scan found. A Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file is produced if you fix or attempt to fix something.

There are two methods to copy and post the information from previous scans:
Method 1:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > View Reports > View Previous reports. Look for the Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file that contains the detections that you like help with. Open it. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.
Method 2
The Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log and Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log files are stored in the following folders:
Windows 95 or 98:
C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows ME:
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the correct Checks.yymmdd-hhmm.log or Fixes.yymmdd-hhmm.log file. Double click on it and it should open with Notepad. To copy it to the Clipboard, right click on the listing and select Select All > Right click again and select Copy. Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of the Clipboard into a new post in this thread.

sailfish11
2008-10-04, 04:37
Well, Spybot was able to find the tracking cookies so I guess it's working. Ok, good! Thanks for your help everyone!